The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,

I am setting up a very small tank with only two small plants, a marimo, and 3 shrimps. Right now it's getting "cycled". It has pool sand for now, but I might switch to a finer sand for a different color. For now, I want to avoid the buffering issues involved with more active soils.

My question is what happens when the shrimp poop into this gravel? Do I count on some kind of bacteria to eat it all up? Or am I supposed to vacuum it occasionally? In the end, I want a very "clean" and sparse looking tank that doesn't have a lot of (visible) algae growth. Maybe even use white sand. What I want to avoid is that if I ever poke into the gravel it's going to release some huge bacteria cloud or ammonia spike or whatever.

PS: if the thread title is funny, it's due to a forum bug

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there a kind of substrate where the poop does fall down, doesn't require vacuuming, tends to not grow algae, and also won't release a bacterial cloud when disturbed? (Maybe too good to be true?)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I have both amano and cherry, so I have to be accommodating.

I was at an aquarium store a few weeks ago where they had a heavily planted low tech tank. The owner said he never vacuumed it and changed the water infrequently. However, it looked ok and clean, aside from some algae. I am aiming for a more sparsely planted tank, and if vacuuming is required to make it look clean, then I guess that is ok.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.