The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently acquired 10 new amano shrimp about 2 nights ago. I placed them in the tank and they were all over the tank exploring withing minutes.

I checked on the the next night and could spot no more than three. Today I can not see any of them.

They were all over about 1" in size and share the tank with some neon tetras, otos, small kuhli loaches and one not very large dwarf gourami.

The simplest explanation is that the gourami ate them all. I have a hard time believe he ate all 9 in 2 days when he is normally very well fed. I am not even sure he is big enough to eat them.

I checked around the tank and there was no sign of them climbing out the tank along the intake and outflow tubes but I see this as explanation #2. The cat could have possibly eaten them preventing me from seeing any little shrimp corpses. This seems like a stretch though.

Is there anything else I am missing? I already took apart the filters to check for shrimp but found nothing.

So confused.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you try feeding them to see if they come out?
No i havent tried feeding them anything specific. I figured there would be lots for them to eat as there is some algae in the tank at the moment. I did throw in an algae wafer which the otos liked but no sign of the shrimp. I havent tried blanched zucchini yet.

Sometimes they jump out too, especially if theres fish or co2
I do have c02 running so possibly that, however like I said I looked all around for corpses but didnt find any.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Do you have any driftwood in the tank? I know my CRS can disappear for days crawling around in mine, it used to worry me at first because I kept getting paranoid that they jumped out of my rimless tank or died in the wood lol.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you have any driftwood in the tank? I know my CRS can disappear for days crawling around in mine, it used to worry me at first because I kept getting paranoid that they jumped out of my rimless tank or died in the wood lol.
The problem is there arent many places at all for them to hide! It's 30g and I am able to see in most nooks and crannies. I am resigned to the fact I will have to try again. I will probably move the gourami and try to block any escape paths.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
The problem is there arent many places at all for them to hide! It's 30g and I am able to see in most nooks and crannies. I am resigned to the fact I will have to try again. I will probably move the gourami and try to block any escape paths.

They are active at night too, when the light is out. Grab a flash light to check them out at night. Try a water change. They usually become somewhat active at that time too. 10 shrimps aren't a lot. Try another 10 more shrimps. They may become somewhat more active. Do you turn off your CO2 at night or before the end of the light cycle? They tend to become more active when the CO2 level is low.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies, I did end up finding most of them after checking under my hardscape. I had to get my hands a little wet but it was worth knowing.

Also I do turn off co2 at night so I hope they are a bit more active then. Still waiting on my LED moonlight to arrive in the mail so I can check them out with the lights off.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They are active at night too, when the light is out. Grab a flash light to check them out at night. Try a water change. They usually become somewhat active at that time too. 10 shrimps aren't a lot. Try another 10 more shrimps. They may become somewhat more active. Do you turn off your CO2 at night or before the end of the light cycle? They tend to become more active when the CO2 level is low.
I was considering getting some cherry red shrimp as I have read they are much easier to breed than the amanos. (also 10 more amanos is $30 more dollars at the LFS). Would they be more active with the company of cherry reds in the tank?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I was considering getting some cherry red shrimp as I have read they are much easier to breed than the amanos. (also 10 more amanos is $30 more dollars at the LFS). Would they be more active with the company of cherry reds in the tank?

I got my Amano shrimps here:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/invertebrates-msjinkzd/

The Cherry Red shrimp is too small. They are even harder to find in the tank. Is the other way around. With the presence of Amano shrimps, the CRS will become more active.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Red cherry shrimp (RCS) are fairly easy to find most of the time, assuming they have good color. I don't know if either is going to be more or less active, but the cherries will breed, so sooner or later you're going to have plenty of visible shrimp. 10 cherries in a 30 gallon is a bit thin, but if you give them 6 months, 10 cherries will be 100.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I've got 10 Amano's in my 75g and 10 in my 46g. I don't know when the past time was that they came out. They hide under / in the woods and rocks constantly. I got up real early a few days ago and turned the lights in my 75g on and all 10 of them bolted into their wood hiding spot. Personally I prefer the ghost shrimp in the tank. They're always out and they fight with the Angels over food.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.