1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my current tank Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

I plan to purchase (Canadian):
the Finnex Planted+ 24/7 48 inch"

co2 system: Freshwater Planted Aquarium Plant Care: Drs. Foster & Smith Semi-Automatic CO2 System (I know I need a drop checker and actual co2 tank)

About 50-75lbs of pool filter sand (swap out gravel of course)

Run the co2 line directly into the intake of my eheim canister filter for diffusion (or use glass diffuser not sure yet might experiment). Use Seachem/Osmocote root tabs beneath the sandbed. And dose with Seachem Flourish and Seachem Flourish Trace.

Am I missing something or would something else be better? For the most part I plan to grow Wisteria, Water Sprite, Amazon swords, java moss, java fern, anubias, and Cabomba. Not looking for many high requirement plants, I just want my current plants the flourish and grow very well.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Your plants seem healthy in the picture, is there a particular problem with them that you're trying to fix? I see you want to put more in, but is there another reason you want to add more light and CO2?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My plants have started to brown a little bit since then. And the trimming from my java fern don't appear to have changed at all. My moss has some noticeable growth but it has taken 2 months.

I only have a 32 watt T5 bulb for my 75 gallon tank it was just a display bulb with the kit. So I know I need a better light anyway.

I just wanted to have more plants and get a lot more growth. And co2 seems awesome to try. Plus I really like the Finnex light. I figure if I upgrade the light and am paying might as well spend a bit more up front on a good light. But if I get the finnex I know I need to get co2 or I'll have massive algae concerns :)

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Ah, I was wondering if I was missing something.
Good luck with this- I have no experience with that particular light, and I don't gas my tanks so I can't comment.

My moss is very slow too, after anchoring it it tends to take a month before I see good growth (as in a half inch or more).

I see you have a good amount of fish. What is your routine for water changes and whether you fertilize currently? What does the browning look like? You have pictures? How hard is the water?

I'm just wondering if factors other than light and CO2 are responsible for decline/slow growth.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've heard the light is fantastic even too strong (for the smaller models). Don't know about 48" model but I don't mind if it's not as strong. Not trying to go too high tech. Plus I love the 24/7 setting.

The moss is growing decent amount with a few other plants but I'd love to just give them a boost. I bought some higher light needing plants and I figured as long as they survive I'm happy. They didn't need to grow. But now I want them to grow haha.

I change roughly 20%-25% a week. Water isn't hard from what I can't tell. Need a new test kit. but pH is a little higher about 7.5-7.6. Uhm don't have pictures at the moment but there's just some yellowing/browning of a few plants.

I don't dose anything into my water at all. And I know I have a *very* under powered light. I know you shouldn't use watts per gallon but still 32 watt display bulb for a 75 gallon tank is way too low for some of those plants.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I'm using that light on a 55 gallon. If you plan to keep it on the 24/7 mode, you may need two of them above that 75gallon. But with those plants you should probably be ok, especially with a lil c02 and root tabs.Try to keep the swords and cambomba in the brightest spots. You might Also want to try leaving it on max power and using a regular timer, bc in 24/7 it only goes full power for about 3hrs I think.
I would also fill a low light tank like that with as many species of anubias as I could... But I've always wants big tank of different anubias
This kinda seems like a good opportunity to start a dirted tank.... Just sayin' lol . Jk actually seen lots of beautiful tanks using only PFS and root tabs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Damn there is no way I'm getting 2! lol. This is already an incredibly high priced light. I was hoping if I paid more up front it would at least do a decent job for me. No way I'd ever buy 2 of them.
I was hoping this light would work pretty well, but it still seems to only be low- low-medium lighting.
I figured PFS just because dirted would be way too expensive considering the cost of everything else

·
Registered
289 Posts
Damn there is no way I'm getting 2! lol. This is already an incredibly high priced light. I was hoping if I paid more up front it would at least do a decent job for me. No way I'd ever buy 2 of them.
I was hoping this light would work pretty well, but it still seems to only be low- low-medium lighting.
I figured PFS just because dirted would be way too expensive considering the cost of everything else
I only paid $170canadian for that light delivered to my door. It's very well priced compared to similar like lights. The added investment up front saves a lot of money in the long run(never buying new bulbs again, and a lower electricity bill...for your parents lol). Don't worry man, your plant choices seem reasonable( cambomba may stretch and get spindly stems) , and The Co2 should help everything grow well even with lower lighting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow could you tell me where you found it?!

The only place I can find it is on Amazon and it costs $304 Canadian! I can't find it anywhere else.

I really like the Cabomba so I hope it will grow well. Cabomba and lots of moss it was I primarily wanted.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
If you're not dosing ferts atm it might be worth it, I suspect that's why your plants are browning, not enough nutrients from what the fish are producing.

That is, until you get the tank "upgraded".

Try the plant guy from Manitoba, he sells the PPS system (suitable for low tech). The PlantGuy- Canadian Aquarium Plants

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you're not dosing ferts atm it might be worth it, I suspect that's why your plants are browning, not enough nutrients from what the fish are producing.

That is, until you get the tank "upgraded".

Try the plant guy from Manitoba, he sells the PPS system (suitable for low tech). The PlantGuy- Canadian Aquarium Plants
Yeah I'm not dosing anything. And have very weak light.

Cool thanks I'll check it out!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Yes yes yes! Check out the plant guy! I live in the same city as him and pick up directly, best aquarium plant supplier I've seen in Canada, and his dry ferts are excellently priced!
I got my light from a supplier on Amazon (can't remember the name) not directly from Amazon. I would only pay $200 for this light, you should have been able to get the Current satellite plus pro for $300

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes yes yes! Check out the plant guy! I live in the same city as him and pick up directly, best aquarium plant supplier I've seen in Canada, and his dry ferts are excellently priced!
I got my light from a supplier on Amazon (can't remember the name) not directly from Amazon. I would only pay $200 for this light, you should have been able to get the Current satellite plus pro for $300
There's a seller "HS Wholesale" and they're selling it for $304.58 + $30 shipping.

Looking at the Current Satellite Plus Pro there's one for $700 Current USA 48"-60" Satellite Plus PRO LED Light by Current USA: Amazon.ca: Pet Supplies

and one for $367 Current USA 18-24 Satellite Plus PRO LED Light: Amazon.ca: Pet Supplies

The prices are ridiculous. I have no idea where people are finding these lower prices. Even from local pet stores the Satellite Plus Pro is about $400 then tax. It's ridiculous pricing in Canada. That Amazon link is the only place I've found the Planted+ 24/7 for sale in Canada :crying:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Oh wow I feel so dumb now! It wasn't $170 CAD, it was USD lol. From Champion Lighting and Supply Co through Amazon.com. But that was still about $225cad. Try Amazon.com, even with the terrible state of our $ you can probably still save almost $100. Just make sure you buy it from somewhere that will ship to your P.O.Box. Then you can avoid huge customs broker fees.

But I did just check, and they don't seem to be listed on Amazon anymore. But they have it on their website for only $160 now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I tried Amazon.com and it wouldn't ship here. Any way I found a Current Satellite Plus Pro that was on sale and only ended up paying $260 Canadian total for it! So I'm happy. I heard the Satellite Plus Pro was WAY better in terms of customizations and had a higher PAR rating at similar depths, but it was more expensive. Thank god for black Friday!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Wow great deal! You should have zero problems with that light. You could probably do a nice carpet of dwarf sag or Pygmy chain sword
I would add 3lbs of red clay and 20lbs of worm castings under the PFS, a couple lbs of Azomite too if you could find it. But I'm always going to try to push people to dirt .:grin2: add some greensand, dolomite, and sul-po-mag to that too, keep a balance stock of fish,band you should never have to dose anything again for years

1 - 16 of 16 Posts