The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I forget with this particular plant is called, but I have had problems with it over the years. It seems like it fails to thrive unless you let the individual stalks grow really large, which indicates the roots are getting large too. The problem is, I have a very small tank and constantly need to trim them. Cutting the stems seems to stun and kill the remaining part of that stalk. I end up having a lot of barren and dead stalks (see photo). This plant also collects a lot of brown algae almost like a filter.

If you have this kind of plant, how exactly do you trim them and replant? I kind of think it would not work to mow down the entire plant and replant the top of the stems. But I hate having these long stems where the older part is leafless and the tops crowd out the light and other plants. Should I selectively cut only a couple stems at a time, replanting? Advice appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
Hi @miktrebor The plant appears to be Ceratopteris thalictroides, aka Indian Water Fern one of several species of Watersprite. If all of the stems originate from one spot that would be watersprite. There are two ways I propagate this species. I can cut off one leaf and let it float on the surface under the light. In a week or two small plantlets will begin to form at leaf junctions, roots will appear, and when they are large enough I remove them from the large leaf and plant them.

If my lighting is bright enough this can happen on the plant when it is submerged. Look closely at the leaves, do you see roots coming from some of the leaves? If so, look closer......do you see a new plantlet attached to those roots? Watersprite is one of the more easy plants to grow and propagate. -Roy

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Roy. Yes, the stems originate at one place. I think it is water sprite. I do see roots reaching out from the juncture points on certain stems. I will focus on cutting them below those dangling roots and replanting. My concern is that it takes a long time for replanted stems to get rooted and grow, for this plant. Only the gigantic original stems seem to grow strongly and quickly, and they shoot toward the top and then have to grow horizontally at the water line. By that time most of the leaves toward the lower portion of the stems have died. Thank you.

·
Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
411 Posts
That's how mine operate as well. I usually will just cut out a whole stalk just under the point where there is a lot of brown leaves. Leave the others, you'll find that new stalks shoot up pretty quickly from the main rooted area. Actually some times I prune it by just thinning out by cutting out one or two whole stalks instead of trimming it down so to speak.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's how mine operate as well. I usually will just cut out a whole stalk just under the point where there is a lot of brown leaves. Leave the others, you'll find that new stalks shoot up pretty quickly from the main rooted area. Actually some times I prune it by just thinning out by cutting out one or two whole stalks instead of trimming it down so to speak.
Thanks very much. I have a plan now. Let's see how it goes!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts