The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 72g bowfront tank. It has been set up since 2009. I started with a 4 bulb T5HO light......with now co2.... And it was predictably an algae farm! I have slowly added to needed components to make it a high light tank and have it be successful. It is running on pressurized co2....with a photo period that utilizes the all the bulbs for short burst during the day, then drops back to 2 bulbs-all on a timer. The hair algae and clado is almost completely gone, but I am left with algae covering the glass. It's a green algae, but it's hard to remove!! I have tried a sponge(scratchy side), toothbrush and a loofa sponge....all with minimal to no effect!
I resorted to using my long tweezers to try to scrape it off the glass....which seemed to work the best..

Can anyone give me a suggestion for a tried and true method for removing this algae from the front glass! I can't use a razor blade as the glass is curved and I can't get good contact to scrape! Is there a metal scratching pad that works?

When you look at the tank it looks dirty because of the algae.....but in reality it is super clear! I really want to be able to enjoy this tank! Please help!!

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
using a razor blade if you go that route, fyi, only push the blade forward (toward the cutting edge) then lift clear of the glass going to the next starting point.

dragging the blade backward can scratch the glass

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Toothbrush that says 'hard' on it works good for me. Or razor for last resort.

Since the glass is curved, I'd use a small razor blade. I use the same kind of blade that is pictured below, and just snap off a section or two. It should be small enough that the contour of the glass wouldn't get in the way of scrapping those algae.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
They sell algea scrapers with a handle and they don't rust like blades do. It's the best.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Try a card - credit card stock- first. All of my green spotted algae comes off with my Kaiser Permanente health care card (not used anymore of course :D).

Razors would work great but you could scratch the glass, introduce oils, cut your finger..etc.

First try a credit card and then resort to a razor but I bet it comes off with a credit card.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Credit card is working!! I am slowly removing it from the glass..... Tank is deep so I am working at it in pieces. As soon as I get it cleared up I will update my journal.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I know this is OLD but I just saw this today and the credit card idea just worked for me so I'm sure this will be helping people with something so simple for a long time. It's one of those "why didn't I think of that?" things.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.