The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I picked up some green tiger lotus the other day. It has beautiful stems and leaves, but no bulb or roots what so ever. It was wrapped with sponge on the bottom. I have grown tiger lotus before with great success.

My question is...Should I float this to get some roots going or plant it into the dirt I have capped with sand.? I really don't know what to do with it. Thanks

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I've never come across this before. If it were me I'd weight it so it's floating a little over the substrate where I wanted to plant it and cross my fingers. I'd probably knick it a little with a razor too. Does it look like it had roots at one time?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never come across this before. If it were me I'd weight it so it's floating a little over the substrate where I wanted to plant it and cross my fingers. I'd probably knick it a little with a razor too. Does it look like it had roots at one time?
Thanks for reply. Yeah it is strange. When I unwrapped the bottom, there is really no indication of roots. I did plant it, but noticed some leaves withering. I just removed the plant from the substrate not long ago and floated it. Hence asking here.

It kinda looks like roots were there....but not much to speak of.

When I unwrapped the plant, it was three separate pieces with 2 stems a piece. I have no idea where the store orders the plants, but it is what it is. What to do with it?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help. I'll follow your advice and give it a go.

I thought about it and said to myself, I am killing this plant. It was in the substrate deep, and I know better. Only stems visible and I know the "crown"...haha or lack there of should not be buried. But lack of roots, had no idea what to do

·
Registered
400 Posts
I ordered one 2 years ago or more. It came with the stem broken from the bulb. The bulb and stem were planted and to make it short,the bulb rotted and the top plant would grow,then die back,grow for a few weeks,then repeat. Eventually it became a tiny,tiny,plant with roots that were so easily broken,the plant drifted away and flat lined.
Early this month? LFS had them,I bought one and plunked the bulb in the mix of pool sands and white aquarium gravels and its grown like a monster. From 1" leaves to 5" wide leaves and already is sending a leaf to the surface.
My point is..same conditions and radically different results. The plant I ordered was not healthy and the one I bought for less at LFS IS healthy and extremely so. I just moved a clump of Alternanthera ( I pushed it gravel and all to not break roots ) to the right so the two don't overlap already.
I wish I could tell people for sure that they didn't make a mistake with X plant..the plant just was not healthy that they had bought. Try again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.