The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never bothered to replace the bulb that came with my tank. It was a really shallow tank, and even though the bulb was pretty much blue my (uncomplicated) plants were doing really well. They were growing slowly.. Which is fine by me. I want this tank to be very low maintenance without being strictly lowlight. Anyways... I was in walmart and decided to finally switch over my one bulb to something in the 6,500 K range. I want my plants to grow a tad bit faster. Mind you this is my first planted tank, so I wasn't prepared at all for what this bulb looked like. I'm very used to the soft white blue colour. BOY this thing is YELLOW!!! My whole tank is a bright yellow green. I know I just put it in, but sheesh.. Is there anything I can do to offset this colour? I don't have room for any other bulbs.. I was going to get a new T5NO fixture with two bulbs... But I figured it was going to be waaay too much light. And I want to avoid carbon and the like. I just dont know.. Maybe a single strip of LED's? What colour would help offset it?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
What you are seeing is something like an optical illusion. Your brain has become accustomed to seeing an aquarium with blueish light, so it automatically adjusts the light appearance to look like it should to you. Now, when you put a less blueish bulb in, your brain continues to adjust the colors as before, but that now makes the light look too yellow-green (as perceived by you). If you just leave it as is and let your brain get used to it and recalibrate its adjustments to the light, it will then look normal again.

Don't you just hate these super high science explanations?

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
We both know what complementary afterimage is. But Hoppy, how do you know this particular bulb isn't out putting yellow/green light? He seems to be saying he sees yellow/green all the time not just immediately after switching bulbs.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I used to run two T12 lamps over my old tank setup. One was WW, the other CW and dang if one didn't look pink while the other was blue. They both looked good to the plants however.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
If it looks yellow to the OP I believe them. I don't care for the look of all 6700k bulbs so I use one plus an actinic. But I'm sure that comes from 20+ years of SW.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought it was just my eyes making up for the blue.. So I called in my family to look at the tank. Everyone agreed it was greenish yellow... I went out and bought 3 more bulbs and another of that brand, and the dual T5 fixture just to see. I put in the other bulbs and they were all a bright and yellow. But not like that bulb. I tried the other one and it seems that brand just runs really really green yellow. All the others looked fine. Anywhoo.. I ended up going with the T5 fixture because I liked how the other bulb balanced out my plant bulb. Hopefully I can keep the needs of my tank down... The duckweed seems to be helping.. but if this goes hightech it goes hightech.. Thanks all!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts