The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the system set to about 5-7 BPS, and my PH meter hasn't budged from 8.7. Nor are my fish suffocating or my plants pearling, my test was to slowly increase my CO2 concentrations until my plants start pearling. But the BPS seem to be exploding a bit over what everyone recommends. So, perhaps there is a leak of sorts?

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
If your KH (which will reduce the pH swing) isn't at 20+, and you still have no pH change, then you have a significant leak between your bubble counter and the diffusion method. Do a search for leaks, and you'll find that the bubble counter probably represents 50-75% of the leaks, and check valves represent most of the rest. Other than that, just do a really careful bubble fluid (kids' bubble-blowing solution) leak test on *everything*. ESPECIALLY the things you wouldn't expect to leak.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So... I should just dunk my system with soapy water (as opposed to bubble solution)?

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
How can u have a leak. The bubble counter is in the tank You would see if You had a leak. At least I know mine is in tank not outside tank
No idea what you're talking about. Most bubble counters are outside the tank.

As for the OP, no, don't dunk anything in water. Use a syringe, or Q-Tip, and use soapy water or bubble solution on *anything* that joins one thing to another. And figure out where the leak is.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Are you sure your pH meter is working? How are you injecting the CO2 into your tank? Can you see the bubbles in the tank?

You can spray around your CO2 regulator connections with Windex to check for leaks but if the bubbles are in the counter and making it out of the end of your CO2 line then you are getting CO2 into the tank, leak in the system or not.

·
Banned
89 Posts
Buy a co2 indicator that goes n the tank :icon_smil

I got a Red Sea one & LOVE it. Cost a lil bit than I wanted 2 spend but until I got it I was under dosing my plants. Now they pearl EVERY day. It goes inside the tank & has 3 color indicators...

Blue = Low co2

Yellow = 2 much co2

Green = Just right

I use a co2 reactor I picked up from DFS for around $12 & its the best thing ive bought yet. Have it on me "return" line coming from my Eheim canister filter...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you sure your pH meter is working? How are you injecting the CO2 into your tank? Can you see the bubbles in the tank?

You can spray around your CO2 regulator connections with Windex to check for leaks but if the bubbles are in the counter and making it out of the end of your CO2 line then you are getting CO2 into the tank, leak in the system or not.
I have an inline diffuser, and I can see fluid in my CO2 lines. No matter how high I crank up the bubbles, the water isn't moving. So I think that's my problem, the CO2 isn't even making it to the tank itself. I'm going to try some things and see what happens.

If logic and science are on my side, pumping enough gas into the tube should force the water out. Considering it's not and the line isn't exploding, there is either too much water coming from the filter and it's a tug of war. So, I'll try to fix it, or blow up trying.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I'm not sure what's going on but I just decided to check my check valve. I put the valve like this Tank-----X-----Diffuser. X being the check valve, I detached the valve and put it under water and got nothing. I flipped it around, and still nothing. So I assume that the check valve is broken or not working. I'm a bit shocked that after all this time the tubing didn't stretch or go boom. So, now that I have no check valve, is it safe to hook my system up?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Ok, I'm not sure what's going on but I just decided to check my check valve. I put the valve like this Tank-----X-----Diffuser. X being the check valve, I detached the valve and put it under water and got nothing. I flipped it around, and still nothing. So I assume that the check valve is broken or not working. I'm a bit shocked that after all this time the tubing didn't stretch or go boom. So, now that I have no check valve, is it safe to hook my system up?
I don't use a diffuser so I don't know about the working pressure for one but unless you have almost no pressure the CO2 should be getting through your check valve. What is your pressure reading? If the problem is the check valve and not the pressure you can run your system without a check valve but I would replace the bad one as soon as you can.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well all, I managed to fix the problem. It turns out, even though i said I wouldn't fall prey to the brass cap on my counter... I fell prey to the washer. It was misaligned by just a few micrometers. Or so it felt like it. Anyway, I got the system working and there is CO2 pumping into my tank.

At least some of it is. The problem now... (sheesh it feels like for noobies it either goes right the first time or all kinds of wrong)... Well. My BPS keeps dropping. I've got an inline diffuser (http://greenleafaquariums.com/co2-diffusers/atomic-inline-diffuser-16.html), and my PSI is set to 30. I even upped the PSI to 35, and the bubbles rocket off, but after a while I can crank the needle valve all the way up and get 1 BP 2 seconds. If the pressure on both of my regulator valves are reading stable and unchanging, one would assume that somewhere between the bubble counter and the regulator a leak would be present. In theory at least. But... I can't find one. Q_Q

·
Registered
450 Posts
I dont use the GreenLeaf one, but I do have the UPAQUA unit which is the same. I had the same problem at the beginning, not going past 1bps. After a few weeks, the thing will break in and it will be adjustable. Just watch it, because once it breaks in, bubbles will flow easily and you can gas your fish.

The pores have to open up I guess.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Good to hear you found the problem. What brand of regulator and bubble counter do you have. Also I noticed you don't have a drop checker (co2 tester) you need to get one before you burn your plats and kill your fish or search this forum on how to estimate your co2 by using ph and kh tests.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.