The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
How does he usually behave? Is he hiding all the time? Does he come to you when you have food? Does he show off and flare when he sees his reflection? As long as he has no problem showing off and investigates his tank, eats and isn't shy and hiding all the time chances are he's very happy.

I used to be able to tell when my betta were having issues when they would stop exploring and swim up and down the tank walls.

Normal betta behaviour that freaks some owners out are things like laying motionless on plants, "sleeping" in awkward places near the surface and blowing bubbles at the top off the tank. If these are things you're worried about have no fear- these behaviours mean you are doing an excellent job and they are very comfortable. Mind you- blowing bubbles and gasping for air are different behaviours. Blowing bubbles is a nesting behaviour and means they are ready for a mate. They stay completely under the surface of the water and blow bubbles and push them into a "bubble nest". Gasping for air is when they struggle at the surface and gulp air, usually they stick their mouths out of the water when they gasp.

All betta are individuals so the basic things to look at are- is he eating? Is he visibly in good health (fins not tattered, scales intact and smooth, belly filled in but not bloated, bright eyes)? Does he move around okay?

From your other post you are doing everything right to maintain his tank and keep him comfortable. With that being said your betta should be very happy.

I wouldn't worry that you aren't making him happy enough, honestly. The fact that you have given him a filtered TANK with plants and good food and bloodworm treats you have already provided him with a million and 1 percent better life than he most likely would have gotten from a lot of other people. Just the fact you care enough about him to ask questions and feel like you might not be doing it right shows how much you care. Don't doubt yourself, you're doing a great job!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How does he usually behave? Is he hiding all the time? Does he come to you when you have food? Does he show off and flare when he sees his reflection? As long as he has no problem showing off and investigates his tank, eats and isn't shy and hiding all the time chances are he's very happy.

I used to be able to tell when my betta were having issues when they would stop exploring and swim up and down the tank walls.

Normal betta behaviour that freaks some owners out are things like laying motionless on plants, "sleeping" in awkward places near the surface and blowing bubbles at the top off the tank. If these are things you're worried about have no fear- these behaviours mean you are doing an excellent job and they are very comfortable. Mind you- blowing bubbles and gasping for air are different behaviours. Blowing bubbles is a nesting behaviour and means they are ready for a mate. They stay completely under the surface of the water and blow bubbles and push them into a "bubble nest". Gasping for air is when they struggle at the surface and gulp air, usually they stick their mouths out of the water when they gasp.

All betta are individuals so the basic things to look at are- is he eating? Is he visibly in good health (fins not tattered, scales intact and smooth, belly filled in but not bloated, bright eyes)? Does he move around okay?

From your other post you are doing everything right to maintain his tank and keep him comfortable. With that being said your betta should be very happy.

I wouldn't worry that you aren't making him happy enough, honestly. The fact that you have given him a filtered TANK with plants and good food and bloodworm treats you have already provided him with a million and 1 percent better life than he most likely would have gotten from a lot of other people. Just the fact you care enough about him to ask questions and feel like you might not be doing it right shows how much you care. Don't doubt yourself, you're doing a great job!!
First off, thank you very much! He doesn't really hide that much. Usually when he's sleeping is when I usually see him under caves or plants, but he does hide a little bit in the day. He likes to attach his body to the filter, then zoom toward me as I approach and start swimming normally. He only flares when he sees his reflection, but he hasn't been doing it as much as often anymore. I don't really see him run up and down the tank, but it was really common with him when I first introduced him to his current tank. Sometimes, I see bubbles come out of his gills, and he normally blows bubbles with his mouth. He eats as soon as he SEES the food. Sometimes it takes him some time to even notice it's in the tank, but when he sees it he eats it pretty quickly. His eyes move around normally looking at his surroundings, as they seem normal. He doesn't really go to the bottom of the tank though, and sometimes his gills don't move (commonly when he's "attached to the filter.")

That's most of what I could collect.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
If he's coming towards you and gobbling down food when he notices it that's a good thing. If you have concerns about him sticking to the filter you could try putting pantyhose around the intake- if he has long fins and is lazy he may just be a dork and not care enough to unstuck himself unless he needs to or it could be too much for him to avoid, like I said, pantyhose on the intake should take care of that.

Most betta will stay away from the bottom of the tank unless they are hunting something, that's why cories are often some of the only fish able to hang with betta.

His behaviour sounds completely normal and healthy. Good job!! I'm glad I could help!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
If he's coming towards you and gobbling down food when he notices it that's a good thing. If you have concerns about him sticking to the filter you could try putting pantyhose around the intake- if he has long fins and is lazy he may just be a dork and not care enough to unstuck himself unless he needs to or it could be too much for him to avoid, like I said, pantyhose on the intake should take care of that.

Most betta will stay away from the bottom of the tank unless they are hunting something, that's why cories are often some of the only fish able to hang with betta.

His behaviour sounds completely normal and healthy. Good job!! I'm glad I could help!!
yea something like pantyhose or a sponge can slow down the filter intake if ur worried

also him blowing and arranging bubbles means he is planning to be a dad

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
I let mine stick to the filter but it's an AIO tank with the flow turned way down and multiple intake areas. I freaked out the first time I found him sleeping laying on the bottom under a "bush" of buces.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.