The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im just wondering if they are gonna get outta control? If I have too many should I take them out? whats the best way to control them?

·
Registered
614 Posts
I've always heard that the best way to control their population is to put some cucumber slices on the substrate just prior to lights out. The MTS will flock to the cucumber to eat. You can simply use this "trap" to remove as many as you want.

You could even put a dwarf puffer fish or loach in. They'll eat snails.

Good luck to you,

Charlie

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I monitor two ways, early morning check before lights are on as the normal cycle is for them to come out of the substrate overnight.

If I see adults out during the day.

I put bait into a net and leave it in the tank overnight. In the boring pull the net and your catch. i cull out the adults and return the babes to go back to work.

To me it's just routine maintenance like a water change. I do that maybe every 45 to 60 days.

You can Sell/Trade/ROAK/or recycle them as Fish/Shrimp Food.

I also keep my Ramshorns in check like this. I cull out color mophs I don't want. I have Blues in one tank and Red/Golds in another.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
When you pop the lights back on a couple hours after lights out and they are coating everything in your tank, including the glass. If they get out of control catch them at night, pluck out as many as you can. Mine like to crawl on the glass so I run a net from the bottom of the pane up. Hand pick the big ones, since they will be your main breeders.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts