The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems some people root tabs under some plants. How do I identify plants that requires such? Looking at my list, I believe I am planning to use 5 or 6 stem plants.

thank you

·
Registered
794 Posts
allot of it depends on your substrate as to whether you need them or not and then you have to do lots of research to determine whether or not your plant choices get there nutrients from the substrate or from the water column primarily.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
It seems some people root tabs under some plants. How do I identify plants that requires such? Looking at my list, I believe I am planning to use 5 or 6 stem plants.

thank you
Stem will get a majority of their nutrition from the warer column but will also benefit from root tabs as well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks everyone. I guess I'll look around for more info on the chosen plants :)

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Some stems have a more extensive root system in the substrate. I guess that could be to either deal with currents or for collecting nutrients. For instance my sunset hygro seems to really put down roots but neither of my Ludwigia have much root structure in the substrate.

Might also be possible that some plants sense the need so if the water column doesn't have what's needed maybe the roots turn on?

SteveU

1 - 5 of 5 Posts