The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like this plant and purchased some last week. All the new growth are coming in deep purple / pink.
When I do a search online, most of the pics for this plant show bright green leaves.

After more reading, I noticed that there is a "cherry leaf" variety, but I only see it referred to as cherry leaf on sites that sell plants so I'm not sure if it's an actual species or some made up name. Here's the thing, I see the cherry coloring on their pics, but a lot of pics show green leaves and are still labeled cherry leaf. I was able to find a few pics where the colors are like mine, but not much info.

Looking at videos on youtube, I only see green coloring on videos for giant hygros.
What's making them change color? I see so many pics ranging from pink to almost purple but the majority are green.

I want to make mine green but don't know how. Any tips?

Thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
Under intense lighting, Hygro will get pinkish hues on the new growth. Keep the stems short, move them to an area of less light or reducing your lighting intensity will solve the issue.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
You're talking about the basic Hygrophila Corymbosa? I have seen a couple variants that stay green. The cherry variant is known to be pinker. I have Hygro Corymbosa sp. 'compact' and while the new growth is reddish brown it turns vibrant green as the leaves grow out. This could be because I have it shaded by Ludwigia palustris and Ludwigia repens 'rubin' but I haven't seen 'compact' in another color yet.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Under intense lighting, Hygro will get pinkish hues on the new growth. Keep the stems short, move them to an area of less light or reducing your lighting intensity will solve the issue.
I would normally assume it's light intensity, but I know that can't be it in my situation. The tank is low light. They're in a Marina 5gal LED tank using stock lighting which is an LED stick with 6 led's under the plastic lid.
This is weird, maybe I should buy some giant hygro from different shops and hope I get one that stay green.
Do you think it could be water parameter? I have guppy grass in the same tank and they're nice and green.

You're talking about the basic Hygrophila Corymbosa? I have seen a couple variants that stay green. The cherry variant is known to be pinker. I have Hygro Corymbosa sp. 'compact' and while the new growth is reddish brown it turns vibrant green as the leaves grow out. This could be because I have it shaded by Ludwigia palustris and Ludwigia repens 'rubin' but I haven't seen 'compact' in another color yet.
Hmmm, now I'm beginning to wonder which one I got. I assumed it's corymbosa because that's what it looks like, but the way you describe the new leaves on the compact variety sounds like how mine is behaving.
If my new leaves turn green after they mature, then I have the compact hygro?
The stems were long when I got them which is why I think it's corymbosa.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm happy to help identify the species if you have a photo to share. I have had both corymbosa and compact and they both turned pink on new growth under intense lighting. Surprised to hear your lighting is low. I don't see how the pink could be related to your water parameters.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm happy to help identify the species if you have a photo to share. I have had both corymbosa and compact and they both turned pink on new growth under intense lighting. Surprised to hear your lighting is low. I don't see how the pink could be related to your water parameters.
Great! I'll get a pic later tonight. It won't be much though, just a few new smaller stems popping up the top with several leaves on each. I think the plant was emersed when I got it. Will update later with the pic. Thanks!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Got some pics of it last night. The two large lower leaves came with the plant. I removed the rest of the lower leaves last week because I think they were in their emersed form. The two large ones I think are emersed as well but I left them for now to provide some cover.

On the close up you can see what looks like an extension of the main stem at the top (light color). That's actually part of a large leaf I removed. If you look just behind it, you can see one of the two new submerged stems. These are the new ones that developed in my tank after purchase.

The entire plant was green with light brown stems when I got them. All this new growth and coloring happened within a week.

Is it ok to leave the main stem in my tank? I want to encourage side shoots but the main stems are from emersed from.

Hope the pics help with plant id.

Thanks

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You might have picked the wrong plant for an aquarium that size- its already at the surface..no place to grow but out of water and it knows that.
Wouldn't the growth be slow under low light though? New growth are the two small stems at the top which took a week to grow less 2". But maybe it might speed up once it's settled. I have a 38 gal that I can move it to if it becomes too difficult in the 5. Maybe the small green polysperma variety is a better choice? I've always liked big plants in small tanks but never tried a giant hygro before.

·
Registered
404 Posts
There is a dwarf Hygro that has large leaves..but that you would only find on the internet or a local ADA type aquarium business. So,what you have is much more for the 38 gallon. Hygro's grow fast and I think can get out of bounds fast if you don't pinch or have a very tall aquarium where the plant can grow 3-4' easy as I've seen them in public aquaria.
One thing about the various giant Hygro's is how fast they can go from lush to spindly. Ohio Rescue had it growing so fast and easy...filled the tank. I noticed that most of it is gone now from that one tank. Getting it big is one thing,keeping it looking good when it gets big, is another.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There is a dwarf Hygro that has large leaves..but that you would only find on the internet or a local ADA type aquarium business. So,what you have is much more for the 38 gallon. Hygro's grow fast and I think can get out of bounds fast if you don't pinch or have a very tall aquarium where the plant can grow 3-4' easy as I've seen them in public aquaria.
One thing about the various giant Hygro's is how fast they can go from lush to spindly. Ohio Rescue had it growing so fast and easy...filled the tank. I noticed that most of it is gone now from that one tank. Getting it big is one thing,keeping it looking good when it gets big, is another.
Aww bummer. Really like the giant because it looks like a big tree. Thanks for the info! I guess I'll just keep it around for now because I don't want to throw it away. Maybe just keep a small side shoot, let it grow, when it gets bigger, replace it with one of its fresh shoot.
There's a small piece of stem without any leaf I planted a week ago. It was from the bottom of the main plant, and now it's putting out two new stems. I'm going to track their growth to see how long it takes them to reach the surface. They're shaded by guppy grass but they don't seem to care. I can see an increase in growth compared to what I saw when the light came on today lol.
I'll have to look for the Ohio fish rescue video. I enjoy their content but haven't watched too many of their vids.

I'll google dwarf hygro and see what I come up with. Hopefully it becomes more widely available.

Are there other low light plants you can think of that look like big trees but can still be managed in a small tank?

·
Registered
404 Posts
You could buy some time and cut that shoot above the bottom node. Reroot and the bare stem might also sprout- just remove the bare stem under the cutting you leave- it has no nodes or rooting power- just toss out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.