The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I grow Bucephalandra emersed? Peat moss for moisture attached to lava rock?

I got a " Bucephalandra red mini" in the mail, it has leave and everything.

I am thinking of growing it emersed(out of water) in order to get faster growth then taking small clippings and putting it around my aquarium

My question is how do I grow it emersed without rotting the root or drying out the leaves?

I was thinking of using a rubber band to attach it to a lava rock to keep the Rhizome out of the dirt then mixed potting soil with peat moss to keep the soil moist and maybe have it in a bowl to keep it humid? I'm not sure if the peat moss would mail the soil too acid for this plant.

What do you think? Does anyone have any information of growing Bucephalandra (red mini) emersed?

Thanks.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do I grow Bucephalandra emersed or underwater?

Should I grow Bucephalandra emersed or underwater?

I have confirmed with the seller that he grew this Bucephalandra under water so it would be a change to start growing it emersed.

I know they grow slowly but perhaps I would wait until they become established than take a cutting and grow it emersed which would be the opposite of what I originally was thinking of doing.

I originally wanted to grow it emersed and once it grew much faster, take cuttings and places them around the aquarium for a much faster. I was under the impression that most of these plant farmers grow them emersed anyway. However now that the seller told me it was grown underwater I am thinking that mabye growing it emersed might end up killing it or might be more risky by having it lose all the leaves,etc...

My Aquariums are not exactly great for plants since I don't have any C02 or anything like that.

What do you guys think I should do?
Grow it emersed or underwater? Its a nice looking plant with like 7 leaves already. Shocking since I just got it in the mail and have not even opening the sealed plastic bag yet.

Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
They are fairly hardy plants, at least the species that I have... I'd put it in the tank and let it do its thing they look way better underwater anyway.

·
Registered
595 Posts
They are fairly hardy plants, at least the species that I have... I'd put it in the tank and let it do its thing they look way better underwater anyway.
So if you wanted a lot of it for multiple tanks. You would start it out in the tank and when it grows, take a small cutting for the other tank or possible to grow emersed however the first piece you would keep in the tank?

Thanks.

I'm just growing any buce on rocks in plastic containers with lid and spraying everyday. No rubber, no soil, no peat moss, nothing, just water with nutritiens for spraying. Remember that won't have this beautiful colouration emersed!
How much faster do you find it grows emersed than under water?

Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts