The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, I haven't received much feedback on my last few posts, and every day I look at my tank I'm getting more and more frustrated. I thought I had the planted tank thing down, but this 125 is driving me crazy. I want to be as low tech as possible, no C02.

Am I not changing water enough? Too often? Not enough light? No C02? Fert issue?

I ordered a set of the GLA dry ferts micros and macros. Started off dosing the recommended schedule every day and then do a WC on Sunday.

I've since stopped that as I was melting plants it seemed, my Ludwigia specifically. I'm now down to macros on Monday, micros on Tuesday, water change on Sunday.

This is a discus mainly tank and they are growing and doing very good despite one large water change per week. I was doing 50% every 2 days but thought that was harming the plants. I've since decided that I also of course care more for the discus than the plants.

Lightning is 2 30" Finnex planted plus 24/7s, on the 24/8 cycle. I am so confused on this as Finnex said this would grow my plants perfectly. Others say the 24/7 cycle doesn't work with plants. I had a regular planted plus before and had algae problems like crazy despite the lush plant growth. So is this the main culprit?

My plants are Java Fern, Anubius, Amazon Sword, Ludwigia, S repens, and Jungle Val.

Most of my plants have brown algae on them. The Ludwigia is all but melted, and the jungle Val is browning and has tons of "hair" coming from the top.

Anubius and Java Fern are growing. My java Fern all turned brown and looked dead when I moved it to this tank. I've now got a ton of baby plants growing out of them, so I think they're good.

The S repens pretty much is just getting this brownish algae on them. They've grown some.

Swords are growing, but slowly. Root tabs don't seem to be doing much.

I'm just at a frustrated point. I'll post pictures of my 125 now, and what my 55 looked like when I had one single 48" planted plus.

Last thing that frustrated me, is I couldn't get my wisteria to do anything in the 125. I moved it to my 20g with no C02, no ferts, just a shrimp tank. Stock 18" t8 bulb, and it's already nearly a huge bush. Really? Lol Anyway, any in depth help would be very much appreciated. I'm so jealous of you guys tanks on here!

125 now:

Old 55:

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Finnex LED lights produce more intensity the longer they are, up to about 4 feet long. Your 125 gallon tank looks like it has two lights in one row across the top, with the two lights each much shorter than half the tank length. If that is true, you may have too little light for the plants. I don't know the dimensions of the tank, or the lights, so I can't be at all sure.

The 55 gallon tank appears to have a light or lights that are the full length of the tank, so that may contribute to why it is doing so much better.

If the Java Fern "has a ton of baby plants" growing on it, it isn't doing at all well. Java Ferns reproduce with those baby plants in response to a poor growing situation. The baby plants break loose and float away to a location where they can grow better. Then the mother plant continues to die. Really healthy Java Ferns produce few of thos baby plants, and just grow bigger instead.

·
Registered
50 Posts
In addition to what Hoppy said, you also have no where close to enough plant mass to be dosing full recommendations of macros and micros, especially with as little light as you have on top of not using co2. Think of co2 and light as catalysts. If you have little light and little co2, the plants you have are very slowly taking up those nutrients you're dumping in the tank. By not having enough plant mass, you'd essentially be creating a hot zone for algae as the algae then has very little competition with the plants. You're not going to see the see rate of growth in this take as you have in your 55 because of the reasons Hoppy mentioned. If you keep your current lighting situation on the 125, I suggest cutting back to maybe 1/4 the recommended dosing, with a 50% w.c. each week. See how things go.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've started doing macros on Monday and Micros on Tuesday only. Gonna get back to more frequent water changes also.

Tank has been set up since Black Friday. So roughly 3.5 months.

I'm trying to trade my 2 30s for 36 or 48 planted plus 24/7s. Probably a long shot but yeah.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Or would it be better to keep the 2 30" 24/7s, and add 1 48" regular planted plus with a timer? Or would that be too much light? I can only afford to trade or buy 1 single light. Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.