The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so for the past 2-3 months i have been trying to get my Panda Or Peppered corys to breed with no luck, ive done the large cold water changes and ive even tried darkening the tank for more than normal to try and get them more active then they normally are, any more i can do? right now im thinking i got unlucky and got all of one sex but i find that unliekly.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Peppered cories as in Corydoras paleatus? These are the easiest. Just give them time, plenty of live/frozen foods, and lots of water changes.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Breeding Corydoras

Hello A...

Well, I can tell you that Corys prefer sand as a substrate. A fine, polished gravel will also work. The substrate should be dark, because these fish are light senative. Lower light in the tank, makes them feel safe.

Corys like the tank water a little warmer, 77-78 degrees is optimum. They require pure water conditions, so changing out half the water in their tanks every week will keep the water chemistry stable.

The hard part is maintaining a neutral pH. I've had a number of eggs laid in my Cory tanks, but my pH, at 7.4 is a little alkaline. So, I've never had any eggs hatch. The eggs are also a nice snack for any fish with a mouth large enough to eat them.

Numbers are important too, but the fish don't necessarily have to be the same species. I stock 1 for every 5 gallons of tank volume and a minimum of 5. More is better. Some of my Cory tanks have several species in them.

If you can accomplish the above, your chances of having little ones is pretty good.

B

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello A...

Well, I can tell you that Corys prefer sand as a substrate. A fine, polished gravel will also work. The substrate should be dark, because these fish are light senative. Lower light in the tank, makes them feel safe.

Corys like the tank water a little warmer, 77-78 degrees is optimum. They require pure water conditions, so changing out half the water in their tanks every week will keep the water chemistry stable.

The hard part is maintaining a neutral pH. I've had a number of eggs laid in my Cory tanks, but my pH, at 7.4 is a little alkaline. So, I've never had any eggs hatch. The eggs are also a nice snack for any fish with a mouth large enough to eat them.

Numbers are important too, but the fish don't necessarily have to be the same species. I stock 1 for every 5 gallons of tank volume and a minimum of 5. More is better. Some of my Cory tanks have several species in them.

If you can accomplish the above, your chances of having little ones is pretty good.

B
Well i have all of the above so i guess only time can tell, thanks

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Peppered cories as in Corydoras paleatus? These are the easiest. Just give them time, plenty of live/frozen foods, and lots of water changes.
Yes Corydoras paleatus, i should really get in the habit of going scientific name, not common, the only thing i havent done is live or frozen foods, i feed flakes and pellets, so ill have to look into live and or frozen foods, also i should start changes once a week instead of 2, see if that helps

·
Registered
554 Posts
Have you tried to do the water changes in the evening before the lights shut off?

Also another tip was emptying a tray of ice cubes into the tank @ night. When the ice dissolve the cories think it's rain.

The slight decrease in temperature from the water change stimulates breeding in some cories.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also another tip was emptying a tray of ice cubes into the tank @ night. When the ice dissolve the cories think it's rain.

The slight decrease in temperature from the water change stimulates breeding in some cories.

Good luck.
Hmm, i might actually try this tonight, ill have to make sure i do it and add conditioner, or put the ice cubes in a plastic bag or something

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.