The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm having a couple issues becoming more noticeable in my tank that I would like to stop. 1st is BBA... it's not bad, but annoying and probably a sign something is off. 2nd is plant health problems, specifically holes/yellowing of old growth.

First, let's get all this out of the way:
75 gallon tank
2 Fluval 406's
2 Current Satellite Plus LED's ( 4 hrs on, 4 off, 4 hrs on again) ~30ish PAR at substrate, probably less
pressurized CO2, in tank diffuser ~ 3bbs

Water Changes 30-50% ~ every 10 days
Temp 74 F
GH 143.2 ppm
KH 71.6 ppm
pH 6.4 - 7
NH3 0
NO2 0
NO3 20-40 ppm
PO4 0.25 - 0.5 ppm

Dosing Seachem Flourish, Iron & potassium.
Lightly stocked ~20 fish, 40 shirmp
Heavily planted

I'm not sure if I should be reducing nutrient dosing to slow the BBA or increasing it to help out some plants that aren't doing as well. The BBA doesn't seem to grow on the faster, healthier plants but, it does grow on my buce, anubias, java fern, braod sag and driftwood. I try to pull out any leaves with BBA on them.

Ludwigia Repens and hygrophila compacta are the two that seem impacted by some sort of plant virus or nutrient deficiency. The new growth is very healthy and looks good but, old leaves will begin to yellow or have holes. Maybe they just cant get enough light so the die off?

Looking for any thoughts and advice, Thanks!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@burr740 Correct, I am dosing flourish comprehensive with Fe and K. I test before and after water changes with an API's masters kit. NO3 is always a good dark orange color.
@marks_01 I've got Osmocote DIY root tabs in my BDBS substrate. I used to chop the bottoms off and replant the tops but, i'm trying to do less planting and more trimming, letting each plant really establish in the substrate.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Started dosing EI with KNO3 and KH2PO4. I could definitely read a difference on the API NO3 test, my numbers before were probably 5-10 ppm before, now at 20ppm. PO4 is around 2ppm. Because my lights don't provide a whole lot of par over my tank, I'll be dosing in the 40-60 gallon range to start. LEt me know if you think I shouldn't dial the dosing down like this.

Cleaned out as much of the bba as I could, hopefully I don't see much new growth from it. Also rescaped a bit in the front. Cleared out a lot of the dwarf sag and made room for the MC and DHG to fill in more.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did bump my CO2 up to ~5 bps along with keeping it on through my afternoon break to reduce fluctuations.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bump: Bit of an update/bump here. So, I've been dosing EI dry ferts (NO3 5.18, PO4 1.08, K 5.71 PPM) every other day (florush K as well). Tank parameters are about 40 ppm NO3, 5 ppm PO4, K 28-45 ppm ( est. https://rotalabutterfly.com/accumulation-calculator.php)
CO2 has been constant pH 6.4-6.8, KH 71.6.

I also added another Current Satellite plus 48" to help carpet some MC and DHG.
Stocking has increased to about 48 fish, everyone's doing great!

However, my issues I am having now are similar to before. BBA went down/away after making the changes, but my Hygrophila Compacta still acts like it has a K deficiency. Yellow/brown, ringed pin holes on the lower leaves that eventually just fall off. It was probably time for more root tabs, so I added them through out. Hoping to see some improvement soon. Could they really be K limited still??

After adding the 3rd LED light, I am seeing some more BBA again. Nothing too concerning right now, but noticeable. I'm pretty sure I need the extra PAR boost, as my carpet and AR mini wasn't really progressing well. Any thoughts on this? From my research, I really don't think having 3 current satellites puts me at a high/too high PAR value fore a 20" depth to the substrate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts