The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I need a male and a female, but what about conditioning???

How do I get the water (that is naturally about 68 degrees) down to the low 50s? :|

Could I use the refrigerator?

Any ideas on cooling water that far? I'd love to breed goldfish (believe it or not, they are my favorite fish).

I had my goldfish (commons, years ago) lay eggs after about 3 days of cold. It was winter and our furnace quit.

So? What do you think? :grin2:

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Mine bred in my pond, so maybe install a pond?

Yes, chillers are available for aquariums.

If you are in a house, can you close off one room and close the heater vent to that one room? Maybe even open a window a little bit? (Roll up a towel for the bottom of the door)

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know about chillers but their prices are way too high for me :crying: My axolotl would really benefit from one, but alas, the finer things are out of reach.

I can ask around on goldfish forums. I know I'd probably get better help than I would here (not that you guys are not good help, that's not what I meant).

Hmm... I'm thinking about just putting them outside. But then there's dogs. And cats. And birds. And other animals that could eat them...

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Putting them in a pond or tub with lots of lilies and floating plants, is almost a guarantee they will breed.
They are just fancy carp after all.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
They really don't need chillers. I've had mine breed at room temp (70ish). I did nothing to get them going, and they spawned many times. Floating plants help too, like hornwort. But you need mature fish and at least a 55 gallon for breeding (or larger) and you'll need a place for 100s to 1000s of fish fry!

·
Registered
68 Posts
They really don't need chillers. I've had mine breed at room temp (70ish). I did nothing to get them going, and they spawned many times. Floating plants help too, like hornwort. But you need mature fish and at least a 55 gallon for breeding (or larger) and you'll need a place for 100s to 1000s of fish fry!
I need to get some of those $1000 fancy koi. If I do the math correctly, 1000 fish x $1,000 is a million dollars.

Mike

·
Registered
4,032 Posts

No, just need to be willing to cull 1000 fish and keep the 10 best ones. It is cruel but that is the goldfish game.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
They're seasonal breeders. Just put them in an unheated tanks and feed them well. Not too hard.
Mine bred in the pond. The adults will eat most of the eggs and fry so it's natural culling.

Some move the goldfish into the garage for the winter to stimulate egg production. When spring comes around, they'll breed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.