The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started my low tech tank last friday and the amount of new leaves growing and new sprouts from runners is crazy. How do you hi-tech people keep up with your tanks!. My val spiralis and dwarf sags are going crazy, my ozelots (which I thought were dying) are sprouting new leaves and my crypts are growing back. I never realized how quickly these plants grow. I mean there is noticable growth everyday.

Now if I could get my dwarf lily to grow back :frown: (It got damaged in shipping)

This site was a tremendous help in getting the tank started so thanks for all the info and input! :bounce:

·
Registered
888 Posts
Wow...What luck!:eek5: But isn't it too early to conclude that they would grow crazily?:icon_mrgr Another few weeks of update will help you conclude your plants are doing well.:proud:

·
Registered
562 Posts
I know I've rather enjoyed watching so-so plants from the lfs explode with growth when planted into my tank - better colors, better quality leaves, algae dissappears... I'd have never heard of Excel or thought about the quality of light or ferts if I hadn't joined this forum...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was merely commenting on the fact that hi tech grow about 5 times faster I heard. You guys must prune all the time. The speed of growth just surprised me.

I started out wanting a fish tank and fell in love with the plants:biggrin:

·
Registered
75 Posts
I prune once a week, reserved for water change day. It's just easier to suck up the floating plant particles than try to capture them during the prune. I could probably prune twice a week but can't be bothered.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
same here once sometimes twice a week....it takes very little time. You become good at it :)

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Easiest way is to turn an scape into a jungle. ;)

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
". . . You guys must prune all the time. . . ."
Pretty much, yeah. I keep the 'scape kit and a rag (for drying off wet arms/hands) handy and just grab the scissors when I see something needing doing. I've let it go for extended periods a couple of times (A month? Six weeks?) and the poor fish hardly had anywhere they could swim by the time I got to it! At least it's slowed down considerably since I halved my lighting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts