The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on buying 10-15 CPDs for my newly cycled, planted 15 gallon tank. I'm planning on doing a species-only tank, but also maybe some RCS.

I have read some conflicting information on their hardiness, and I am not sure how they would do in a fairly new tank? It's been up and running for close to a month, but there's nothing in it besides plants. If any of you have any experience with them, would it be ok just buying them and hoping for the best lol, or should I try to add the shrimp first?

Thanks

·
Registered
560 Posts
Add shrimp first, my cpd 's after a year just disappeared one at time.
I have confirmed with others they tend to be "delicate".

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I've never had issues with CPD being more fragile than other danio or tetra species. Might be luck, but with proper water parameters and acclimation I recently introduced 12 CPD to a 20L with no losses. The tank had been running for 3 months, almost every inch is planted, and I have 200+ Shrimp in there. The tank has been running now for almost 6 months and my CPD are conditioned to dropping eggs everywhere. I have tiny CPD fry swimming around the moss and stuff.

I use conditioned tap water that I add kH and gH powders to, my parameters are:

Temp - 70
pH - 6.8-7
kH - 3 or 4
gH - 6 ish

Forgot to mention, your tank should be fine to add both shrimp and CPD at the same time. Just acclimate them to your water.

It only takes a few months to develop enough bacteria and biofilm for shrimp but you are already there. As long as you supplement feeding with algae and small amounts of protein your shrimp should be fine.

As for CPD, nothing special. Just quarantine them, acclimate them right, and toss them in.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Add shrimp first, my cpd 's after a year just disappeared one at time.
I have confirmed with others they tend to be "delicate".
In my opinion shrimp are more delicate than CPD's ammonia spike will kill them all! Also if your using Co2? The co2 cannot be excreted through the body of a shrimp so co2 levels need to be consistent and lower. I added 6 CPD to a tank 1 week after the first fill and they are already trying to breed! Very hardy fish PS I was using searchem stability.

Sent from my SM-G998W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
Buy stock from reputable dealer. If there is an aquarium society in your area, inquire if there are any breeders with stock for sell. With good sourcing CPD are not any more fragile than other common fish find at LFS.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never had issues with CPD being more fragile than other danio or tetra species. Might be luck, but with proper water parameters and acclimation I recently introduced 12 CPD to a 20L with no losses. The tank had been running for 3 months, almost every inch is planted, and I have 200+ Shrimp in there. The tank has been running now for almost 6 months and my CPD are conditioned to dropping eggs everywhere. I have tiny CPD fry swimming around the moss and stuff.

I use conditioned tap water that I add kH and gH powders to, my parameters are:

Temp - 70
pH - 6.8-7
kH - 3 or 4
gH - 6 ish

Forgot to mention, your tank should be fine to add both shrimp and CPD at the same time. Just acclimate them to your water.

It only takes a few months to develop enough bacteria and biofilm for shrimp but you are already there. As long as you supplement feeding with algae and small amounts of protein your shrimp should be fine.

As for CPD, nothing special. Just quarantine them, acclimate them right, and toss them in.
Ok cool, I will be getting them this coming week :) Also, in your experience, do the CPDs prey on the shrimp a lot?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
No, they do not actively hunt adult shrimp like other fish do but will occasionally nip at the smaller ones. If you provide enough cover the shrimp will usually get away unharmed. Baby shrimp do get eaten, but when you have hundreds you don't even notice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.