The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tank currently has no background. The easiest way to set one up, imo, would be to just spend $2 to get the usual black paper or whatever that Petco/Petsmart have for the backdrop and just stick it on the back. But I know you all have nice solutions that I should think about! Has anybody ever done a black cloth background? Maybe you could just velcro it onto the back rim, and when/if it gets dirty you can just wash it?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I did some research and what I found is a very easy solution. Some people use Oil and some use Soapy water. So I spent $18 for my 140G black background. I have a spray bottle with soapy water, then spay the back of my tank. Then I apply the background, and you will see those ugly looking air bubbles. I use those thingy for wiping out windows (squizzy or whatever you call it), wipe it so you will get those bubbles out. It's been a month, it's not moved and look amazing. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I personally haven't done this, but have seen people use the window tint available at an auto parts store or even walmart. It looks really nice, cheap, easy to install, and removable.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I am REALLY dating myself, but does anyone remember those cool crystaltek (I think that was the name) liquids you poured on the back of your tank and they made awesome crystal formations when they dried? They came in lots of different colors and you could buy them at the pet store.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I cut a piece of brown cardboard (from a box in neighbors recycling) to fit the back of tank and stretched black fabric over one side ($2 from the remnants bin at the fabric store). Affixed to back of tank using clear packing tape at edges. Looks awesome and doesn't reflect light like the other options.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I did the same thing as Greenvalley, using mineral oil instead of soapy water.
Yup (mineral oil), and I know some people also used Cooking oil, which I would not recommend. A friend of mine did, and when he was trying to replace it, the oil actually went bad. So you know how the smells like:icon_lol::icon_lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.