The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used Eheim filter that was previously used for a salt water aquarium and started filtering my tank with the old media.

It seems like the salt buildup and evaporated water might have left room for the salt to scratche my tank or is this residue build up?

Any tips on fixing this?

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
If the filter came from a salt water tank the media should have been well rinsed to remove salt and minerals.
If is still giving off minerals or salt, and this just happened then the minerals are just sort of sitting there on the glass. You should be able to simply wipe them off. Try a paper towel and don't let the minerals fall back into the water.
If it has been a bit longer and the minerals are more firmly attached to the glass then partially drain the tank and dampen a towel with vinegar and soak the minerals to soften them.
If this does not work it may be that the glass is etched. It may look OK when it is full of water, just a little hazy, but it will look very bad when the water level drops. No way to fix it if the glass is etched.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Diana,

Thank you for helping me in this thread as well.

The tank is drained, and the vinegar tricked worked perfectly!

I appreciate it very much.

Should I buy new media?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.