The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My substrate is about 50% flourite and 50% inert gravel. It varies in depth from about 2 and 1/2 inches to about 5 inches in the deepest spots. I have Malaysian Trumpet Snails to keep the gaseous pockets from forming.

My problem is that I just did a heavy replant/rescape last weekend with some great new plants that I got from some awesome PTFers in the S&S. Some of my stem plants just keep popping out of the substrate. Every day I replant them and some of them are floating the next day. How deep can you plant them?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I would say plant them as deep as you can, of course if they're tall enough to stick above the substrate. I always cut down few leaves at the bottom of the stem and plant it as deep as I can get with tweezers.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
It helps if you plant them at an angle so the undergravel part is closer to horizontal. That seems to anchor them better, and the growing plant quickly straightens out to grow vertical anyway.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
If you leave a couple of leaves under the substrate it will help the stems stay planted. The leaves act as a kind of baffle. They will eventually rot but then the plant can use the fertilizer so it works fine. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.