The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have planted tubs in my backyard for breeding CPD’s, blue panda endlers and medaka ricefish. I’ve had a lot of dragonfly nymphs in the ricefish tub and noticed damselflies around my other tubs, do they primarily eat fry or would they target pond snails over the fry? Should I remove the fish and restart the tubs or will most of the fish be able to survive regardless? Thanks for any help

·
Registered
868 Posts
So my first experience with dragonfly nymphs was when I was catching tadpoles and baby fish with my sieve and dumping them into a bucket and I just thought it was cool. And I put my prize of the day in - a tadpole with all four legs and went to get more - I was gone maybe 5 minutes and that thing had killed 3 fish and was in the process of eating my prize tadpole.

I love dragonflies but do not love the nymphs around my pets.

They are carnivores and are very fast and efficient hunters, and can eat a LOT.

I do have mad respect though for their life cycle and how cool of a critter they are though!!

Here is a link that gives some good info along with a few awesome pics:

https://www.nparks.gov.sg/nparksbuz...servation/the-secret-life-of-dragonfly-larvae

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
They are very capable predators. Unless you have incredibly prolific fish (white cloud mountain minnows, platies, etc.), the nymphs will most likely severely dent, if not outright extinct-ify your tubs.

I'd remove the fish, and just restart the tubs. You can use eggcrate lighting diffuser to keep the dragonflies out, but let the "nice" bugs like mosquitos and bloodworm midges in.

The only thing I can think of that will target pond snails over fish fry is pea puffers....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Too bad, thank you all for your posts. I’ve got so many endler and cpd fry with no where to properly grow them out and now I feel like I have to set up another tank in the house to keep them safe and hope my wife doesn’t notice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.