The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to use flourish comprehensive as the sole fertilizer in a planted tank with co2? I know it's more expensive etc, etc, but just asking if its possible to use without anything extra, or if it needed some extra dosing, what would it need.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I used only flourish comprehensive and Kent's Marine Iron and Manganese in my high light, CO2 tank (click my View User Tanks button for pics). The plants grew fine with only the flourish comprehensive, but I found the reds and oranges really popped when I started the iron and manganese.

I dosed about 3x the recommended amount twice a week.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
With a fertile substrate Flourish comprehensive can be adequate for high light. But, never with an inert substrate. Plants just need much more nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium that Flourish comprehensive can supply when driven with high light.

·
Registered
508 Posts
With a fertile substrate Flourish comprehensive can be adequate for high light. But, never with an inert substrate. Plants just need much more nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium that Flourish comprehensive can supply when driven with high light.
Im using the walstad method with a flourite cap, 2.5wpg, and a DIY Co2. Is the comprehensive good enough to add a boost?

·
Registered
712 Posts
This is very interesting. I have a low-light no CO2 tank and I dose flourish comp 2x a week. I'm not even sure how much good its doing but I figure it couldn't do much harm.

I have miracle grow organic potting soil capped with eco-complete. Most of my plants are now stemed (not the original plan).

I will be introducing a plant (elatine triandra) that is reportedly a Nitrate hog and I still am not sure if I should start dosing macros to help it. I may just take the try and see approach.

·
Registered
852 Posts
This is NOT my recipe but it works quite well. It is much cheaper than Flourish& I used flourish for years. I also mix up my own "Excel" which is another BIG money saver.
This stuff ROCKS!!!
Good STUFF original recipe
500mL opaque container
3063mg Plantex CSM+B (~ 3/4 tsp)
438mg MnSO4.H2O (~ 1/16 tsp)
1500mg FeDTPA 10% (~3/8 ts p)
Fill the rest with DI water. Leave some space for some acid or glutaraldehyde if you want
Shake it up!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.