The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and entering into dangerous aka algae territory
Short story-24 or so gallon bowfront(18" high) which came with a full glass hood and 18 watt single tube light. Needless to say the single tube is pretty bleak, but I also have a coralife 28watt PC laying around and wondered if I could run both of these and still remain 'low tech'. The reason I am thinking about using both is that the single strip fits nicely on the top, and hides the coralife, which isnt long enough, and the bulb isnt centered in the fixture, so I have to move it over to the side to center it. This pic is with both lights on

Attachments

·
Banned
332 Posts
That is a deep tank relatively, both lights should be fine. If algae occurs add more plants. Algae is not the boogeyman and even with the CF you still dont have a lot of light anyway.That tank looks bare. At 3/4 of a watt without the CF, I am surprised anything grows at all.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I doubt much growth would happen with the 18....it's pretty dark
Yep, its lightly planted, but I just picked 'all' of that up today. I realize I need more, but it was getting too pricey...have to check the classifieds.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could use a little direction here....I think I would like to get it down to 1 fixture, and Im thinking of selling the coralife, and gutting the stock fixture and adding 2(heres where I am a little confused) Im thinking of getting 2 24 inch t8 and odno either one or both(open to suggestions on bulb type or odno). Reason being the top of the tank is too crowded

I do have some more plants on the way to help fill it in a bit more, just some java fern,crypt wendtii, and a grandiflious sword.

Thanks!
Kevin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts