The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a ideal 52-1-12 needle valve that is clogged up. I have tried blowing the debris out by turning the valve all the way open and rapidly plugging and unplugging in my solenoid but that only is a temporary fix as it clogs up again in less then an hour. Is there any other way to try and clean it out? I can't afford to replace this atm so should I just try to up the pressure(at 35psi now) and try again with blowing it out?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I sent a message through the website and got an email to call him at the same number you just gave me. I will call him tomorrow and post back here what he says

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
There should be nothing in the CO2 flow that would plug up the needle valve. If you used teflon tape, and didn't do it with extreme care, that could be the source of the debris. Other than that I don't recall hearing of any plugged up valves. I never had one.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So good news and bad news. I called Bill and he said to just completely take apart the needle valve. Turns out that isn't very hard at all and I didn't just break it in attempting. So there is nothing blocking the needle valve as I can see through both the tiny holes without a problem. Bad news is now what the hell is keeping my setup from working? In an act of frustration I attempted to take off my solenoid to attempt to see if I could look in it and find some debris. Well that didn't work as I could not take off the anything connected to the solenoid because the solenoid is in the way and I cannot take off the solenoid without taking off the low pressure gauge. I now have a bunch of loose fittings and am going to take a break. Also I may have broke some sodder off the solenoid but I will check on that later.

·
Registered
9,102 Posts
I think I may know what your problem is and its not a good situation if its the case.

These NV's we use are extremely sensitive and have incredibly fine threading. If you force the valve too far open or closed you can damage the internal workings and pretty much render the valve useless. I did this with a Swagelok valve when I got my first pressurized needle valve, it was a foolish ~$45 mistake and you can bet your a$$ now that I dont go turning any of my valves harder/further then I have to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.