The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am setting up a Innovative Marine 40g cube (24Lx20Wx19H) as a freshwater tank. I have a single Ecoxotic E-60, and I'm not sure how to tell if it is will be sufficient lighting for carpeting baby tears.

PAR meters are $$$!

My LFS suggested that I double up and hang two light fixtures to cover the tank. I'm thinking that they're right, the one single bar would leave me with less light at the front/rear of the tank.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm an idiot :-\

Thank you for the information.

If I were to hang the light 4~6 inches from the top of the tank, would I want to consider a second lamp? The lamp does not fit well on to the lip of the tank; the rails are about 1" too wide.

·
Registered
12,528 Posts
Innovative Marine 40g cube (40Lx40Wx19H)
Doesn't actually make sense..

Besides that.. strip lights just don't really cut it for cubes.. though your growing area isn't really a cube correct??

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doesn't actually make sense..

Besides that.. strip lights just don't really cut it for cubes.. though your growing area isn't really a cube correct??
Sorry, it's a 24x20x19 near-cube. I corrected the original post.

I see what you're saying; my 5gal cube has a single lamp light centered over it.

The tank is slightly more rectangular; it was meant to be a marine tank so it has a sump section in the rear that eats up ~2" of depth making it 24x18x19 of plantable space.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
HC would grow a lot better with more than the 40-50 PAR a single one of those lights would give you (in the center of the tank). If you raise the light to let it spread out more the PAR drops significantly. But, two of them gives a lot of light, more than you really need, it would then be much harder to avoid serious algae problems. I would look for a different light fixture, that would give you around 60 PAR, with good spread of the light.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Hoppy. I was afraid of this, and didn't consider it when I bought the Ecoxotic. Recommend a fixture? My search (here and google) have turned up the Kessil A360WE Tune Sun which looks like the Cadillac of lights. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I strung up the one E-60 and since the light bar reaches the edge of the tank, there is a TON of bleed outside of the tank. Lights up the room... Going to swap to a pendant.

Will shadows cast by driftwood cause growing issues?

·
Registered
596 Posts
I've found that the glass will quite often reflect more than enough light to overcome shadowing

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,528 Posts
I strung up the one E-60 and since the light bar reaches the edge of the tank, there is a TON of bleed outside of the tank. Lights up the room... Going to swap to a pendant.

Will shadows cast by driftwood cause growing issues?
Making a few guesses, you only need to have the eco about 8" off the water line for fair coverage

·
Banned
483 Posts
That's a nice piece of wood. You should tie java moss to it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts