The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Below are the pictures of my planted tank, it was in a much better state at the start of this year. Since then I've had to remove java ferns and some other species, and now it's in a very poor state. I have some questions on how I can save the plants and make my tank look better and be better for the fish, which are found below.

1). How would I remove and ensure the hairgrass algae does not return?
2). How do I promote new growth in the plants?
3). How should I propagate these plants, do I cut them somewhere specific, plant them deep/shallow? General help with propagation would help.
4). Can anyone tell me what the species of my plants are, since I bought them I have forgotten. This is to help me research into the plants and assess in what conditions they are best nurtured.

It's a 70 L tank with 2 albino corydoras, female betta, and 7 neons.

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
909 Posts
You've left a lot of important data out of your post. A good place to start would be: lighting type and duration; fertilization schedule and type; co2 supplements if any and your current water parameters. It's hard to tell for sure with the photos, but I think I see some ambulia, and some type of anubias. The other resembles some type of bacopa but I can't be sure. I'm not sure if you have the room, but at least a few more coryadoras would make the 2 you have in there a lot happier, they do much better in groups of at least 5. The ambulia and the bacopa will use good amounts of light if you have the appropriate supplementation, the anubias would probably like less light or at least some shade.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I am sorry but buy reading your post I understand you have absolutely no experience with aquarium plants, and that's Ok, we have all been there. The problem is that it seems you haven't done any home work on this matter. I suggest you do some research, some reading, watch some YouTube videos. This is just too much for anyone in here to walk you through without you having at least some basic knowledge.

·
Registered
A ton of guppies, mystery snails, japanese trapdoor snails, ghost shrimp, & tons of plants in a 10G.
152 Posts
I just had an issue similar to yours! Do a small blackout period (MAKE SURE ABSOLUTELY NO LIGHT COMES IN) 3-5 days. If you have fish in there, only turn your light on for a small amount of time to sparsely feed them (only feed enough, not too much, as it will fuel the algae). Just check in every 2 days to ensure you haven't had any fish losses & to check on the algae situation. Just continue to do this, as algae is almost inevitable when you're doing a planted tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts