The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

I bought this Angelfish four weeks ago. It was fine for the first three weeks but eight days ago it stopped eating. We noticed it had white poop and bought some frozen medicated fish food for internal parasites. It did not accept the food so I bought a quarantine tank and set it up. I put in the medicated fish food last night and it was gone this morning but I don't think the fish likes the food. My concern is that the water will dissolve the medicine in the food if the fish waits too long to eat it. Also I don't have any active biomedia for the filter.

1. Does the fish have to eat the food right away?
2. What's the best chemical way to control Ammonia in a quarantine tank?
3. Would it be better to do daily water changes to control the Ammonia?
4. Should I feed the fish some other frozen food that it likes to build up it's strength after a week of fasting?
5. Should I give the fish a formalin treatment for internal parasites or is that just for external parasites?
6. Is there anything else I should be doing?

Any help with this would be appreciated. The fish is young and still has a lot of strength left in it. But it hasn't been eating dry food all week and it's looking really thin. It did accept some frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms today.

·
Registered
792 Posts
While it is a bad sign when the fish stops eating it won't actually starve for several weeks but the disease is usually quite progressive at the point it stops eating.

sachem prime is good at neutralizing small amount of ammonia but it is best to use a seasoned sponge filter or similar long term.

You should do daily water change to the limit the medicine will allow - some medicine require that you not change the water - if the fish is sick you want to try to keep nitrite near 0 and ammonia as close to 0 as possible

I'd feed the fish anything it is willing to eat

not sure what you should treat the fish with but if it is no longer eating your time to treat it is short

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
The Angel fish is most likely suffering from Hexamita. I would treat with metronidazole (active ingredient in Hikari Metro Plus or Seachem MetroPlex) in water column if not eating.
Actually, when my fish are sick, I set up a new med tank each time. In between each set-up, I sterilize the tank and do not set up until needed. Its ideal for treating fish this way because you can control the bacterial and parasite load in the environment. HOWEVER, when you do this, you are the biological filter--- meaning, you do at least a 25% water change daily. With metronidazole treatment, you will treat daily anyways, so do the water change and then add medicine. You will also need to treat for 10 days.
Do you have any Epsom salt ( no perfumes or dyes)? Add this as well at a rate of 1/4 tsp per 10 gallon. Each day when do the water change, add back Epsom salt for water volume taken out.Treat with Epsom Salt for 3 days. Works to reduce internal inflammation.
You could also get a liquid vitamin like Boyd's Vitachem to put in water column. This will help with nutrition loss from fish not eating. The fish takes up vitamins through gills. It also works to encourage appetite.
Try feeding fish, but may not except food for a few days. If start to eat, start putting metro in food ( with a binder like Seachem Focus or food grade gelatin like Knox so medication adheres to food) as well as water column. The medication is much more effective if ingested. But, it also breaks down quickly when hits water, so adding both to feed and water column ensures the medication is taken up.
When my discus and Angels have Hexamita, I always raise the water temperature as well- about 5 degrees. This has a couple positive effects. It increases metobolic rate of fish and encourages them to eat.

·
Banned
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
While it is a bad sign when the fish stops eating it won't actually starve for several weeks but the disease is usually quite progressive at the point it stops eating.

sachem prime is good at neutralizing small amount of ammonia but it is best to use a seasoned sponge filter or similar long term.

You should do daily water change to the limit the medicine will allow - some medicine require that you not change the water - if the fish is sick you want to try to keep nitrite near 0 and ammonia as close to 0 as possible

not sure what you should treat the fish with but if it is no longer eating your time to treat it is short
My feelings exactly. The time to treat is short. Wish I had a working sponge filter. I have been trying to cycle some biomedia in a bucket for six weeks now and it's not cycled yet!? I realize the activated carbon in the picture isn't doing anything and is better for removing medication. So I guess it's more water changes. Thanks for stepping up to help with this. I appreciate it.
The Angel fish is most likely suffering from Hexamita. I would treat with metronidazole (active ingredient in Hikari Metro Plus or Seachem MetroPlex) in water column if not eating.
Actually, when my fish are sick, I set up a new med tank each time. In between each set-up, I sterilize the tank and do not set up until needed. Its ideal for treating fish this way because you can control the bacterial and parasite load in the environment. HOWEVER, when you do this, you are the biological filter--- meaning, you do at least a 25% water change daily. With metronidazole treatment, you will treat daily anyways, so do the water change and then add medicine. You will also need to treat for 10 days.
Do you have any Epsom salt ( no perfumes or dyes)? Add this as well at a rate of 1/4 tsp per 10 gallon. Each day when do the water change, add back Epsom salt for water volume taken out.Treat with Epsom Salt for 3 days. Works to reduce internal inflammation.
You could also get a liquid vitamin like Boyd's Vitachem to put in water column. This will help with nutrition loss from fish not eating. The fish takes up vitamins through gills. It also works to encourage appetite.
Try feeding fish, but may not except food for a few days. If start to eat, start putting metro in food ( with a binder like Seachem Focus or food grade gelatin like Knox so medication adheres to food) as well as water column. The medication is much more effective if ingested. But, it also breaks down quickly when hits water, so adding both to feed and water column ensures the medication is taken up.
When my discus and Angels have Hexamita, I always raise the water temperature as well- about 5 degrees. This has a couple positive effects. It increases metobolic rate of fish and encourages them to eat.
It's so good to know the name of this. Hexamita. Thank you. The guy at the LFS recommended using Ich-X but I will follow your suggestion and use the metronidazole instead. I use epsom salt to remineralize RO water. I'll add in a 1/4 tsp more and replace with water changes. You've really laid out a comprehensive treatment. I'll go get the stuff and get started on it. Thank you so much for such a thorough response.

Reactions: Discusluv

·
Banned
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

The Angelfish seems to be doing much better now. I treated it for ten days with API General Cure with Metronidazole. I fed it frozen Dr. G's medicated deworming fish food for ten days. The fish didn't really like the food very much but then I found I was feeding it wrong. I was using the food everyday when I was supposed to be using it every other day. The piscine patient has regained its appetite. It aggressively tries to eat the stuff vacuuming up the syphon tube when I change the water. It follows the syphon tube across the tank when I do maintenance. It comes up to the glass to see people. It has really good reflexes reacting to sudden movements. It seems really interested in the plants I floated.

So now the plan is to reintroduce the Angelfish to the main tank. I am going to pull out the three Amano Shrimp and treat the main tank with Levamisole for Capillaria if the Angelfish gets sick again. I don't see any Camallanus worms. Both vitamins and trace elements are in play. I have been soaking the fish's food in Boyd's Vitachem every other day. The vitamins do seem to help with the fish's appetite. I've also been adding Flourish Trace to the RO water. Yeah, I think we did it @Discusluv. I think we saved an animals life. Thanks for the help. I was clueless about what to do.

·
Banned
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Jake21 I followed your advice about the water changing. The treatment using General Cure is just two days for one treatment. So every two days I changed the water and then redosed everything, medicine, vitamins, trace elements, everything. I repeated this five times for ten days of treatment. There was some Ammonia in the water when I tested it but I wanted to keep the concentration of Metronidazole at the right level. I think the water changing was an important part of this treatment. Thanks for chiming in.

Reactions: jake21

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
View attachment 1029587
The Angelfish seems to be doing much better now. I treated it for ten days with API General Cure with Metronidazole. I fed it frozen Dr. G's medicated deworming fish food for ten days. The fish didn't really like the food very much but then I found I was feeding it wrong. I was using the food everyday when I was supposed to be using it every other day. The piscine patient has regained its appetite. It aggressively tries to eat the stuff vacuuming up the syphon tube when I change the water. It follows the syphon tube across the tank when I do maintenance. It comes up to the glass to see people. It has really good reflexes reacting to sudden movements. It seems really interested in the plants I floated.

So now the plan is to reintroduce the Angelfish to the main tank. I am going to pull out the three Amano Shrimp and treat the main tank with Levamisole for Capillaria if the Angelfish gets sick again. I don't see any Camallanus worms. Both vitamins and trace elements are in play. I have been soaking the fish's food in Boyd's Vitachem every other day. The vitamins do seem to help with the fish's appetite. I've also been adding Flourish Trace to the RO water. Yeah, I think we did it @Discusluv. I think we saved an animals life. Thanks for the help. I was clueless about what to do.
So glad it went well. :)
Great job!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.