The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone I am thinking of purchasing some RCS for my 29 gal planted tank but I have a quick question. Will the fish in the tank keep the RCS population in check? I don't want 150 shrimp invading the tank.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will have cardinal tetras, rummy nose tetras, sparkling gouramis, and killies. I thought about keeping them but I don't want to be screwing around in this tank alot messing up the plants trying to catch shrimp. I might still breed some just not in this setup.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I agree with mistergreen.....either no shimp or you will never see them.

Why not just let them do their thing and just trade the shrimp into the LFS for credit?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Forget the gouramis (though they'll hunt shrimp too), killies will decimate shrimp, have no worries, I've made that mistake myself. You'll have no population, let alone population explosion. Had a tank with guppies, completely forgot I had this one female juvenile killie in the tank, she hid a lot.

Dropped in oh, 6 juvenile cherries, largest perhaps 1/2" being generous, maybe more like 1/4-1/3" for all of them. Not babies, but not full grown.

That killie fairly wet her lips, she wiped out 4 of them within two minutes - I'd NEVER seen her move that fast. She ended up looking 9 months pregnant with a red tinged belly for 2 days, and I was out 4 of the 6 shrimp, in 2 minutes flat.

I tend to buck the trend of shrimp only tanks, but there are fish - killies most definitely among them - that I won't dare try again. I do better with shrimp living with German Rams than I did with that killie, no joke - going on 3 weeks with a mated pair of rams and 3 cherry shrimp in the same tank, shrimp still kickin' (babies are surely toast tho).

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
If you want to keep your shrimp from breeding, just send them to me. They won't live long enough to breed...:icon_roll :icon_wink

Tommy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.