The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone !!!

Now that I got a WAC !! (Wife Approved Certificate).
I am going to get a ADA 90P for my Amazon Puffers.

I have couple of scape in my mind but I got stuck on how to execute it.

The question is:

How can I raise the platform when you just cant afford to get a giant stones ?
Do you guys fill the gap with sand or aquasoil and put stone at front to avoid "Land Slide" ?
There must be something we can put so we don't have to waste all the soil or sand... But I just don't know what.
Someone told me use Egg crates ? but aren't they make with paper, assume the egg crates I got it from Safeway the dozen one.

Please help !!

Thanks as always
J

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
But then when money is one big question, do some thinking on what cheaper ways might work. Eggcrate (light diffuser panels) are somewhat expensive when compared to other stuff. How about some recycle stuff that you cover with silicone and stick sand or gravel in the silicone before it sets? Several layers of the plastic from milk jugs can hold quite a load. Or maybe a trip to the salvage store will turn up some really weird plastic vase that nobody wants and sells for 50 cents? Some nice aluminum water bottles to cut the ends off?
Cheap plastic storage containers?
I used eggcrate for a number of things but it tends to get uncovered and looks like cheap plastic, so I just go with cheap plastic and get the color that matches better. There may be something just right laying in your trash dumpster right now!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Mot,
Thank You for that idea !!
I do think that will work. Since Lava rock are light so I hope it won't cause me arm and leg to get it.

Hello PlantedRich.
The "Cheap Plastic Strong containers" are the first come to my mind !!!!
I mean it comes with different sizes. And it's going to be INSIDE the scape so I don't care about the color.
The only thing concern me is when I flip it upside down, it will create air inside and once I flood the tank, depend on how big the container, it can be float up with the scape I put on top. and That's the reason I hold off...
If I feel that thing with sand or rock. then it will sort of defeat the purpose at the first place. Avoid using [censored][censored][censored][censored] load of Sand or AS.
Lmao

J

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Hey Mot,
I do think that will work. Since Lava rock are light so I hope it won't cause me arm and leg to get it.

Hello PlantedRich.
I mean it comes with different sizes. And it's going to be INSIDE the scape so I don't care about the color.
The only thing concern me is when I flip it upside down, it will create air inside and once I flood the tank, depend on how big the container, it can be float up with the scape I put on top. and That's the reason I hold off...
If I feel that thing with sand or rock. then it will sort of defeat the purpose at the first place. Avoid using [censored][censored][censored][censored] load of Sand or AS.
Lmao

J
If it's plastic drill a couple vents in it to let the air out ;)

Bump:
Hey Mot,

Hello PlantedRich.
Lmao

J

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are right !!

Bump:

U know what. You are right !!
but the thing is, if I drill holes, the soil or sand I put on the top will leak in. Now that never be the problem they goes in.
The only problem is I have no way to tell once my scape is finish. Well covered. and soon you flood the tank. The unknown amount of Air or sand still inside that container "Might" cause them to float.

I am sorry if I overthink too much. But the last thing I want is my scape went up to the sky. lol

J

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
U know what. You are right !!
but the thing is, if I drill holes, the soil or sand I put on the top will leak in. Now that never be the problem they goes in.
The only problem is I have no way to tell once my scape is finish. Well covered. and soon you flood the tank. The unknown amount of Air or sand still inside that container "Might" cause them to float.

I am sorry if I overthink too much. But the last thing I want is my scape went up to the sky. lol

J
if you use small holes it will likely keep the substrate from going in, and if you flood the tank in stages i.e. to the height of the container and then let it sit a day to vent all the air out you would probably be okl

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I sewed bags of window screen stuff and put old substrate into them. Worked great. I am hoping that material isn't degraded by the conditions under the Amazonia as I've had various materials dissolving in my tank, old cotton fabric, cheap scrubbies for instance so didn't want to risk using nylons and old socks.

A .5 cubic foot bag of lava rocks meant for mulch at local building supply stores is less than $5. That should be 12x12x6" of rocks, that would be plenty to make up a nice slope, wouldn't it? You could corral them like I did with my old substrate so there wouldn't be annoying shifting then lean your scaping rocks up against the bags.

I used to read about using styrofoam glued to the bottom of the tank to build slopes. Quietly that idea has disappeared, floating landscapes have to be a horrible thing to happen. I fill my window boxes and large plant pots part way with partly crushed milk jugs, no way would I do that in my tank.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
How much of a platform?
How steep? How high?

I do it like this:
Build a retaining wall out of nice rock with expanding foam filler, sold for ponds as 'mortar'. It is fish safe, has some adhesion, is black, so it is subtle if it peeks out from between the rocks. (the yellow construction stuff works, too, but I do not like the color)
By sealing the back face of the wall reasonably well I can keep the substrate high behind the wall, and have quite a steep wall with an interesting stone face that won't slip.

You could then put the lava rock behind the wall as filler.
The nylon stockings as bags would stop the finer substrate from sifting between the lava rock.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I guess I'm missing part of the question, here. Is it so hard to find rocks that they are out of the question? Since it is just for filler and not to be seen, There should be some laying around most everywhere I've been.
But then in the very worst case, there will be some place that sells rocks for landscape and they are almost always cheap.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you so much for all the great info guys !!!!
I think the Lava rock thing wins... lol.
it's cheap and I can hammer it down to the size I like and just fill the gap with sand.

Diana, I agree with building a retaining wall. Which is the Major part of the rock face expose to the viewer.
then fill the inner with lava rock and such.
Flat them a little and pile the "2nd Floor" retain wall and follow the same way like the first floor.
And the top floor will fill with aquasoil so I can plants things in.

The whole "Stone Wall" thing is about 12 inches tall. 90P is 18 inches high so will have 6 inches left for whatever.

Now things is easy to say... but I already nervous how to execute it. (*_*) LoL

Soon I got the tank and stand next week I will keep you guys post. :)

J

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.