The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep getting conflicting information on the size of Laetacara curviceps. Seriously Fish says they reach 45 – 50 mm (1.77165"-1.9685"). Aqua-fish.net puts them at 4 - 5 cm (1.57"-1.97"). While Tropical Fish Hobbyist Magazine says they are 7–9 cm (2¾"–3½"), males larger than females. Aquatic Community says males will grow to about 4" / 10 cm and females up to 3.5" / 8-8,5 cm.
Does anyone know how big they actually are? I'm considering housing a pair with fish that are mostly 1-2" (the list is here) and I'm worried about them beating up their tiny neighbors.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I've never had a male grow larger than 3 1/4 inches; females are about half an inch shorter. It's a very peaceful species, but it IS a cichlid, so they can be very aggressive when guarding eggs or fry, although I've never seen them damage other fish in a community tank. One of my favorite cichlids, & very easy to breed; I couldn't get mine to stop. My pair would spawn every week or so, but as I had no space to raise hundreds of baby curviceps I'd scrape the newly laid eggs off of the rock & feed them to my other fish (my Badis loved them!).

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for the reply.
I've never had a male grow larger than 3 1/4 inches; females are about half an inch shorter. It's a very peaceful species, but it IS a cichlid, so they can be very aggressive when guarding eggs or fry, although I've never seen them damage other fish in a community tank.
This is exactly what I was trying to figure out. I wonder why some of the sites put their size so much smaller? Maybe there is a smaller sub species? I'm going to the Greater Chicago Cichlid Association swap meet this weekend. There will be many knowledgeable breeders there, maybe they will have more insight.
One of my favorite cichlids, & very easy to breed; I couldn't get mine to stop. My pair would spawn every week or so, but as I had no space to raise hundreds of baby curviceps I'd scrape the newly laid eggs off of the rock & feed them to my other fish (my Badis loved them!).
Now you're making me want to get a pair and keep Scarlet Badis again!

·
Registered
757 Posts
The smaller sizes mentioned may have been fish that were stunted or not fully grown. Laetacara dorsigera, which is often mistaken for L. curviceps, is usually a bit smaller.

BTW the fish that I fed the eggs to were Badis badis. They might be too big a mouthful for Dario dario.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The smaller sizes mentioned may have been fish that were stunted or not fully grown. Laetacara dorsigera, which is often mistaken for L. curviceps, is usually a bit smaller.

BTW the fish that I fed the eggs to were Badis badis. They might be too big a mouthful for Dario dario.
You'd be surprised, I once saw my Dario dario attack an eat a damsel fly nymph, I was amazed he got it down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.