The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would the approximate volume be of a typical drop from an eye dropper.

I got a bunch of small brown glass bottles with eyedropper caps and would like to use these for my dosing.

I don't have any means of accurately measuring such a small amount and thought maybe someone might be able to give me an estimated volume of one drop. My guess is it is around 1ml. But then again I usually loose when I go to Vegas..... :)

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I think it's less than one mL.

If the thread on a flourish cap is in 1 mL increments, then a drop is about a 1/3 of a mL. Then again, most liquids will have different sized drops due to differing surface tensions and whatnot.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
A good rough approximation for liquid drops, when the liquid is water or another substance with similar viscosity, density, etc., is 20 drops per ml. More accurately it is probably closer to 15 drops. But, it does depend on the size of the hole to some degree.

·
Registered
217 Posts
A macrodrip IV set: 15drops=1ml. A microdrip IV set: 60 drops=1ml. Go to your local pharmacy and ask for a dropper and ask how many drops will equal a ml. If it's a few ml you want to measure get yourself an oral dosing syringe, I have them in 1ml, 3ml and 5ml sizes

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you go to a pharmacy (like Rite-Aid or Walgreens), ask them for a medicine dropper. They will give you one for free and typically will have easy to ready mL measurements as well as tsp.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
If you have the bottles already, then just use something that is marked with mil's and count the drops it takes to fill them.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I use sterile 1ml oral syringes that we got when our cat Dempsey was sick RIP. They were graduated in "drops" and ml. If i can remember I'll check on tonite.

Tommy

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
As SuRje1976 and others have said, the USP syringes are each designed for the liquid they are intended to disperse. Mine are 20 drops/ml, and it just happens to work out to that exact number for H2O, too.

Tommy

·
Registered
100 Posts
It all depends on the dropper you are using. They usually run 20 - 23 drops/ml. The way you hold the dropper also has an effect on the size of the drop (i.e. straight up-and-down or slightly slanted). I use graduated plastic 1 mL droppers and I get around 23 drops/mL.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts