The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have recently purchased a 2ft cube tank but seeing as Marine aquariums is so expensive, I think I'll make another planted tank.

Being 24" on all sides means that I'll need some powerful lighting, right?

So here's my options:

1. 4-8x T8's $50-$100
2. 1x 250w Metal Halide at $250
3. 1x 400w Metal Halide at $150

Which option would be best for growing nearly all highlight plants?
Is is possible to have too much light? I'll be dosing heaps of CO2.

Thanks

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
I'll tell you from direct experience, consider less, no more light.
Eg, 4x 24 W Tek light is more than you will ever need.

You would likely be better off using 2x 24 most of the time and then 4x 24 for perhaps 2-4 hours.

You'll get much better even lighting and there's no plant, I mean no plant, that you cannot grow anywhere in the tank.

Light really does not drop off much 2ft and up.
Few have tanks deep than 2ft also.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So no Metal Halides needed then? Second opinion would be nice :)

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
yesterday, i was going to recommend a 4x24w t5ho. i thought i'd wait and see what someone else thought would work out first though.

the guy that did the 1st reply is probably one of the most knowledgeable out there...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, I might be able to get some lower wattage MH's. Something along the lines of 70w-150w.

That sound better?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am just getting a 24x24x20 cube running. I am running it with 2x24w T5 and 1x175w MH.

The cube was just planted, so I am running just the t-5 and slowly increasing the photo period. Then I will bring the MH midday for an hour and work it up to 5 hours. Withe the Final photoperiod looking like this:

t5 1 hour
MH 5 hours
t-5 2 hours

I can not control that the MH is about 4 watts per gallon, but I can control how many hours it is running. If I run into algae issues I can back it down. I had a reef tank and rather than spend a lot on entire light setups I opted to just change bulbs and play with the photo periods. We shall see hoe it works :)

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
You can use as powerful a light as you want, but you will have to raise high power lights higher above the tank, getting more spillover light, in order to avoid big headaches with algae. You definitely can have "too much light" to allow you to enjoy your aquarium.

·
Registered
77 Posts
How high is high enough??? My light bulb is about 16" above the water, It was on for a while yesterday, it is bright :) I do hope that will be good, otherwise I am going to have to make some changes, and that is never fun or easy :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I'll go with the lower wattage MH and maybe a couple of T8 to supplement it too.

Hoppy- I was looking at your 65G Riparium Journal and wondering, does that siphon overflow pipe work and how well? Need to do something similar for this tank, does the T joint need to be inline with the water level?

Thanks

·
Registered
255 Posts
BTW, I have some Coralife aqua light pro's, 150 W HQI and 2x 65 W PC lights, used about 1.5 years for sale:)

250$ each(I have 2).
Includes shipping.

Regards,
Tom Barr
good price for an excellent unit i have this unit on my 30 gallon reef and its awesome! Id go for metal halide on a cube... but that's me

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.