The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there, i setup my tank around April 19th when i decided to totally rescape it

i'm using previous plants (monte carlo, buce, valisneria) and it's meant to be a low tech setup

but along the way i figured i wanted to invest more to actually experience it myself what it is like to have my first high tech aquarium. i bough my first co2 system and a canister with lilypipe and skimmer (yeaaayy!!)

i decided to replace to old (melting) mc for haigrass and add rotala h'ra as well on May 7th. today is 15th days after i've done my last planting and for sure diatoms/brown algae began infesting my tank. i tried a couple of ways to prevent the build up, from adding more co2, installing additional powerhead 2 days ago for better circulation (i have almost a perfect circle water flow from one end to another on cube tank, 40x40x40), limiting feeding the fish from 3 times a day to once a day, reducing light duration from 10 to 6 hours, using algae killer product (spraying on the infected plants and/or hardscapes), manual removal everyday, adding 4 horned snails (nerite), water change every 2 days...

it does help me to some extent, but i'm curious if i'm waging a pointless war and actually missing something?

here are my tank condition

1st
is the current water flow too much and will disturb the hairgrass from carpeting?

2nd
the diatoms/brown algae mainly settled on the bottom part of the hairgass...

3rd
i managed to clean the deadspot at the back of my tank yesterday but i can't be sure

here are the progress from the 1st day

and 2nd week

the plants seems to grow (normally?), especially the rotala h'ra, but i'm sure if i'm don't take any measures in the past 2 weeks, God know what will happen to my tank. yesterday i filled my bucket with LOADS of diatoms that i can't believe my eyes..it has an absurd amounts compares to my pc case dust that i neglect to clean it for last 3 months hahahaha

to my understanding, diatoms/brown algae is very common and will go away when the tank reaches a more mature state. but i'm curious if there's any factors that causes it. i just bought the test kit to see the water param, but i'm curious it might be due to my lava rocks leeching silicates, and if it did, i might have to remove it and i don't know what other rocks are safe..

i wonder if i should trim the rotala and plant it the pack the tank with hungry nutrients stem plants to combat the diatoms/brown algae...and should i just trim the hairgrass to trigger them to grow and suck up the nutrients from the water column better? if so, how short should it be? and do you guys think my hairgrass is doing just fine 2 weeks in???

please help me :(

EDIT: i haven't dosing my tank with any ferts at all

·
Registered
82 Posts
You just need to give it time. I also have lava rock and it wasn't fun brushing that off, right before weekly water changes. For me, the more I disturbed the tank, moving rocks and plants, adding more filtration, I just didn't make any headway. Just be patient, it will go away. Your tank is looking good though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You just need to give it time. I also have lava rock and it wasn't fun brushing that off, right before weekly water changes. For me, the more I disturbed the tank, moving rocks and plants, adding more filtration, I just didn't make any headway. Just be patient, it will go away. Your tank is looking good though.
Thanks so much for your reply...any advice on how to maintain the tank?

I clean the diatoms every single day, does that mean i can dial down and remove it when doing water change every 2 days?

And about the hairgrass, it's yet carpeting should i trim it as well with the current height? At least to promote them to grow horizontally...what do you think?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I only did and currently do weekly water changes. Turn your filter and powerheads and heater off before scrubbing / brushing your lava rocks, then drain your tank water and replace with de-chlorinated water. I use sodium ascorbate for a de-chlorinator, I won't use that Seachem crap that smells like rotten eggs. Anyway, I never grew hairgrass, so can only hope someone with experience can help you, otherwise Google it. Good luck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I only did and currently do weekly water changes. Turn your filter and powerheads and heater off before scrubbing / brushing your lava rocks, then drain your tank water and replace with de-chlorinated water. I use sodium ascorbate for a de-chlorinator, I won't use that Seachem crap that smells like rotten eggs. Anyway, I never grew hairgrass, so can only hope someone with experience can help you, otherwise Google it. Good luck.
many thanks for the advise, have a good day :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
To be clear, you set up a new tank in April and rescaped it a month later. Between that time, you let the tank cycle? Was the rescape effectively a new step again? I’m just wondering if you didn’t cycle properly and now witnessing an algae bloom as it cycles. What are your water parameters?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.