The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my plant order in and they are all soggy/floppy.. like cooked spinach. I was expecting a much larger Anubias Coffeefolia (website said "medium to large currently". This thing could classify as a Nana it is so small. I got some assorted crypts as well, and I'm not even sure if these things will survive. They are all in my tank now, and hopefully will firm out a bit, but it's still a rather anticlimactic ending to all this excitement.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aquabotanic

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Mad, it's a common problem found while getting plants in the winter.
most probably they were frozen, then thawed out to become the
lifeless mush you received. I mailed someone on PTF a perfect bunch
of Limnophila aromatica, and later had to refund his money when
all he got was a lifeless bag of dead plant soup.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there a chance they'll be fine? I'm sure the anubias will thicken up a bit, but they're the only things I'm not too worried about. The crypts worry me.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
If there is life in the roots there is a chance of life. Earlier this year I got an order that took 2X as long as expected thru the mail. they were all melted when I got them save for a little root life. All have sprung back in the most awesome way. The aponge that had melted down to just the stump is now easily 2' tall.
and my crypts have bounced back and I have many daughter plants from them now.
So theres hope. a little green or root is all it takes... sometimes.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
It isn't a good time to ship, being so cold. They probably had a rough trip. Plants are pretty tough though, a lot of times they do bounce back. If you're not satisfied with your order, you can talk to Robert Hudson about it and see if he can work something out.

If you still need some more plants, be sure to check out the Swap and Shop section of the forum - there are always good deals over there. Is there anythign else you're currently looking for?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He said to wait a couple days, which I am doing, to see if they start to firm out abit, or what else may happen to the plants.

Most of the roots seem firm for the most part... aside from one of the crypts, and the roots actually look dead on that one. Only time will tell!

Thanks for the info

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
If there are a lot of dead roots, be sure to trim them. Pruning back the roots is generally a good idea before planting, as most plants don't end up using the really fine roots after being transplanted, they just grow new ones. When I get crypts, I generally trim their roots to about 3" on med-large plants.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
.....and the countdown starts for thread closure.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Honest and accurate accounts of vendor transactions aren't bad, and he's not calling Aquabotanic "poopy heads" or anything like that ;)

This is most likely not the vendor's fault at all. I blame the COLD COLD weather!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
.....and the countdown starts for thread closure.
I'm not nagging about the vendor, I'm simply put down by the fact that they weren't what I expected is all. Robert was helpful on the phone, and I have nothing against the order of plants or him. I understand that it can be due to weather, etc, but again.. it's not what I expected, and so I'm naturally dissapointed.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
No I know it was an honest post but probably once others see this and start the vendor bashing(which often happens), it would probably lead to an eventual thread closure.

·
PT Biologist
3,220 Posts
As long as you have white roots the crypts should be fine. Remove all the dead leaves and excess roots, like Jen says, and let the plants float in your tank. They should start growing new leaves and roots if they are ok. Anubius will grow back from the rootstock also so give it a chance before you toss it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts