The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Are you doing this in an already established tank, or are you draining out all the water and starting anew?
Eco is great for bringing an established, unplanted tank into the planted side of the hobby, but if you are starting from scratch, just do organic potting soil capped with whatever floats your boat.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
If you do go with the Eco, check out petsmart as they have it on offer for $10 a bag in store at the moment

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts
sweet how easy is the transition from standard gravel to this eco complete?
You will probably have to put your fish in a tub and slap your filter on the back while you are doing the substrate change. But if you are going to do change like this I think you should use soil with a cap for the best growth. Very cheap too

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I changed over my 75 from regular gravel to Eco Complete. I took out all of my fish (minus one super stubborn fei fang that thought he was going to be a salmon that day), drained the tank halfway, used a really big syphon tube I have (for some reason) to get all the gravel and crap out, then just dumped the water from the eco-complete as much as I could and slowly shoveled it in (and I mean SLOWLY, cause that fei fang was jumping out of the water and almost broke the glass top......man that was a strong fish)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts