The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my ten gallon heavily planted dirt tank, currently housing cherry shrimp.

It has a zoomed 501 canister on it and is kept at 78-80 degrees.

I have had bettas in here for a few years but after my last one died I was thinking about trying something else. I'm a big fan if the albino cories in my other tank and was thinking that I might like to try one of the dwarf varieties in here. Either habrosus or pygmaeus, I'm not sure. Which one is smallest? How many of each could I house in here? Those will be the questions that I start with to keep it simple!

Thanks!
Jasmine

·
Registered
12 Posts
Beautiful tank!

I have some emerald "cory"'s (Brochis Splendens), which are a smidge bit bigger than the pygmys, in a 10 gallon. There was three, now there's only two, but they're very happy and have spawned repeatedly.

Note: I'm not sure how much they'll like the grass in the front -- mine seem to be more annoyed by plants that are planted in the substrate like that (I was attempting a Marsiela carpet but abandoned it) especially when their sinking pellets get mixed into the budding carpet.

Note2: Also, speaking of shrimp -- do you plan to continue having said shrimp in there? It's possible the corys might find them tasty ;)

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
Size-wise, Pygmys and Hastatus are a tad smaller (not as thick) as Habrosus. Hastatus are almost impossible to find. Neither of the 3 will bother your shrimp. 6 - 10 is a good range for the 10g.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Brochis splendens is a LOT bigger than the dwarf Cories. I would not recommend them for a 10.
I agree with OVT, the dwarf species are so small that 6+ are just fine in a 10.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok great guys! Thanks for replying with your knowledge!
I will most likely get the pygmaeus, I think my lfs might be able to get them in, that will be the next step, seeing if they are available to them. I just got my hands on a 10 metaframe and plan on switching over to it sometime soon, when I replant I will leave a sandy area for the corydoras, maybe make a divider to help prevent the spread of dwarf sag there. I plan on getting the larger amount of corydoras to help encourage natural behavior and shoaling, plus i hear they can be shy so that should help too!

Thanks and If you guys have anything else to say please do!

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Corydoras in Small Tanks

Hello xj...

Corydoras are foragers and even the very small species need room. A 10 G tank is too small for even a very small species of fish, let alone one that is most comforatable with lots of room to swim.

I've kept Corys for about 10 years and stock one for every 5 gallons of water with a bare minimum of 5 or 6 in a shoal. So, you can see that small tanks don't work well, because there's really not enough room. If you're going to keep these fish, then give them room to live. A minimum of a 20 G is fair, but a 30 G and larger tank is best.

IMO, keeping fish in such a small area is like trying to keep your dog or cat in the house bathroom.

Just a thought. "You're the boss".

B

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Hello xj...

Corydoras are foragers and even the very small species need room. A 10 G tank is too small for even a very small species of fish, let alone one that is most comforatable with lots of room to swim.

I've kept Corys for about 10 years and stock one for every 5 gallons of water with a bare minimum of 5 or 6 in a shoal. So, you can see that small tanks don't work well, because there's really not enough room. If you're going to keep these fish, then give them room to live. A minimum of a 20 G is fair, but a 30 G and larger tank is best.

IMO, keeping fish in such a small area is like trying to keep your dog or cat in the house bathroom.

Just a thought. "You're the boss".

B
I agree that it's better to keep fish in larger spaces--I have pygmies in a 20 long--but the smallest species of cories like pygmaeus or hastastus would work in a 10 gallon. Many people have done it before and they are fine because they are barely an inch long. Furthermore, Jake (somewhatshocked) is a moderator on this forum, and he keeps Habrosus cories in his 10 gallon, which are slightly bigger than Pygmy cories as stated before.

·
Super Moderator
17,177 Posts
Not all Corydoras are 3+" behemoths, BBradbury.

C. habrosus and C. pygmaeus are perfectly suited for a 10gal tank in groups of 10-15 with no problem at all. That'd be just fine if they were the only fish in the tank.

C. pygmaeus aren't like the rest of the cories, though, as they tend to inhabit the water column and don't hang out on the bottom so much.

I've got 9 C. habrosus in a 10gal and will be adding 6 more. Likely to add some C. pygmaeus later on.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Keeping Corydoras

Hello some...

Thanks for the post, I'm somewhat familiar with the size differences of the different Cory species. Sorry, not sold on keeping even the tiniest of fish in such a small tank. Maybe, just maybe, a couple of very small, inactive fish like a Kuhli Loach that rarely swims might work in a 10 G, but not active, social, foragers like Corydoras. The larger the tank, the better.

B

·
Super Moderator
17,177 Posts
Obviously, large tanks are better for all aquatic life. But in this hobby, thousands of people keep nano tanks and many of us successfully and properly keep all kinds of critters.

But if anyone doubts keeping tiny Cories in a 10gal tank? Here you go. From Seriously Fish on C. habrosus:

• 50 liters. Roughly 13gal.

C. pygmaeus:

• 42.5 liters. Roughly 11gal.

Anyone with further doubts should search this forum to see who keeps what.

10 gallons of water provides plenty of swimming room for tiny Cories.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for everyone's replies!
It certainly helps when someone who has the specific breed of fish im referring to replies!
Im going to go with the C. Pygmaeus, but it will be awhile before i actually get them, i have been really busy at home and work and just have to wait for the right time to aquire such wonderful fishies!

Thanks!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.