The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i feel like i've reached the end of my scaping capabilities here and would like to know if anyone would like to share some advise with me. i feel like i should add something... at the same time i feel like i should just let it grow in - lol

anyway, here it is:

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
392 Posts
I assume this is a low tech tank judging by your plant selection. I've never been that big of a fan of moss carpets, so the only thing I would change would be a marsilea carpet, but other than that I like the rest of it.

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
If I had to pick out something, the one thing that I notice is that the branch on the lower left seems a little out of place. It's not as twisted as the others.
Other than that, it looks really good. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I kind of agree with CL, that branch on the lower left seems a little too prominent. I see what you were going for, but something about that doesn't fit right.

Also, I think simply giving that narrow leaf java fern enough time to double in size will really make the whole thing pop.

I absolutely see what you are going for with the moss, and if you can keep it down and get it to fill in, it'll look awesome.

·
Registered
199 Posts
You have the height on the right, but all your filters are on the left. I like to use my decor to hide the filtration equipment a little more.

Also, having the highest point of the decor being nearly dead center isn't the most visually appealing. The golden rule would have you put it 62% of the distance one side or the other, which would put it just right of the heater.

So, basically I would recommend moving the height to the left which would cover the filtration a little bit and get the focal point off center.

I think you have a nice arrangement which should grow out very nicely.

Just an opinion since you asked, others may not agree, Just something to think about.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
The one thing I could offer which is so hard to do and I have problems even with my scapes is the equipment. In a smaller tank and then with your style of layout, the equipment draws the eye to them and away from your scape. I have a skimmer like you have and even though they work great, they are big and ugly in a tank, especially in a small tank. Also, I have Fluval filters and why they have gray tubing and gray adapters, I will never know. One thing you could do is take your heater and place it horizontal at the bottom behind your scape. Anything you can do to reduce the site of the equipment helps the eye to focus in on the scape.

I also think you will be happier with it when it fills in more like others have stated.

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ahh, the equipment... why are you guys such equipment haters? lol JK i know it sucks. one of these days i'll get an inline heater and a filter big enough for the tank. until then, i guess maybe i'll start taking it out for pics (probably not - hehe).

some good points were made about the dw. i know that the piece that sticks out at the very top is kinda centered. now that it's been pointed out it really sticks out when i look at the tank. i think that when the ferns get up there it won't look so bad. i meant for the plants to be the focal point and i hope most of the wood seen now will get swallowed by the mound of ferns.

the other piece on the left does look a little out of place, huh? as i type, there is a small branch soaking that i hope will fix that. i'll get another pic up when i get it in there.

again, thanks everybody!

oh, i forgot to address the moss. for now, i like it. i hope to keep it trimmed down like a hedge. i suppose if the xmas moss gets too unruly i could always try m. minuta but i wanted to keep the bare sand look.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I like to hide gear as well, maybe as stuff grows in.
Have you thought about wrapping that lower branch or others w/ moss?
Might give a nice looking arch look to that out of place branch(not that it looks all that bad)

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
To be honest, I actually was really stoked on that lower left peace of wood. I can picture the scape filled in, and once it is, I think that left piece of wood will sorta 'creep' out from the thickets and look amazing.
As for the moss rocks, I've been meaning to try that, but in a higher-light tank. I find moss is a little too dark in colour for me, so I like to 'border' my main planted areas with either marsilea or Anubias sp.
Thats just preference though. In higher light tanks, those moss stones are defs a favourite for me.

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have you thought about wrapping that lower branch or others w/ moss?
Might give a nice looking arch look to that out of place branch(not that it looks all that bad)
i thought about it, but that's about it. seemed like way too much work - lol

To be honest, I actually was really stoked on that lower left peace of wood. I can picture the scape filled in, and once it is, I think that left piece of wood will sorta 'creep' out from the thickets and look amazing.
i'm leaving that piece alone(i like it too). however, i did put one small branchy piece in front of it. that seems to make it less out of place.

As for the moss rocks, I've been meaning to try that, but in a higher-light tank. I find moss is a little too dark in colour for me, so I like to 'border' my main planted areas with either marsilea or Anubias sp.
Thats just preference though. In higher light tanks, those moss stones are defs a favourite for me.
haha, it would seem we have opposite tastes in color for certain areas. i really like the darkness of it. i was actually contemplating changing out the c. undulatus on the right for something darker.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Maybe split and spread apart the C. undulatus around the plants as a 'mid' border, and then place another moss rock where it used to be.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Paint the equipment black, if it isn't black already. (surface skimmer strainer, grey connector pieces)
you can raise the stealth heater up a bit so the red part is out of the water.

krylon fusion is safe to use in tanks (remove them to paint and let them dry first, of course)

Also, some stem plants in the back might look nice.

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
i really appreciate all the feedback folks! here is an updated photo (w/o the equip.)

i only made some minor changes. there's a small new piece of wood and i also added more xmas moss rocks (there are like 19 individual rocks w/moss).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.