The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Ok, so I actually found a link that discussed this topic, but I wasn't able to bookmark it, since I was at work. And I don't remember what I googled, to find it :mad:

Has anyone heard of or read any literature discussing how to transfer house plants to your terrarium or land area in palundarium, safely?

I will keep searching and keep everyone posted if I happen to find it again, Thank You!

yoko

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This isn't the link, but it's some info I just found:

"Plants I Like in Aquariums and Terrariums"
http://www.caudata.org/people/JM/plants.html

My Mom actually has one of those Pothos in a vase of water in the bathroom near a window. Cool

·
Registered
12 Posts
for the pathos, cut a branch with maybe 6 leaves on it, stick the cut end in a glass of water right there with it's momma, let it sit for a month, stick the roots in the ground. Works for me. I have this stuff in pots, in my fish tanks, in my vivariums ....

Tropical plants are tropical plants. I would avoid rubber trees but peace lilly works well in my viv. You can use all sorts of trees and so on, just trim them and train them and they will remian small.

Take a look at www.dendroboard.com and blackjungle.com. The first is a site like this and the other is a viv supplier.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ZizzerZuz, thanks for the advice!! :) :thumbsup:

Do you know about the "spider plant"? Is that fish safe?

And Welcome to the Forums!:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. They can get big. Some do stay small. If you limit light and ferts you may also be able to train it very small. Look for a nir\eghbor or friend that has spider plants, I personaly own three different kinds! And ask them for a shoot. Look for ones that about the right size growing for someone else and ask for a shoot. Stick it in water for a few weeks and you should get roots, then stick it in dirt. The smaller the root ball the sooner it will sprout shoots and the smaller it will grow.

The spider plants won't grow submerged though. Pathos you can grow all in the water (submerged) or with just the roots in the water (emmersed). There are others ... many.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ooohhh ok... My Mom has spider plants and I took a couple of the little growth (sorry, don't know what to call it) and I put it in water and got roots but I left them in there and they ended up dying. I never knew they couldn't grow submerged... okay, I know now.. My Mom also has the pathos growing in a vase with water... Thank you so much! I am also going to join the Dendro board, right now.. thank you!!! :) :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts