The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of household products can be used as ferts? I only know that Epsom salt can be used because it is MgSO4. Are there any other household products that can be used?

I've never used ferts before so I am a complete noob in the area... Can I use Epsom Salt alone or do I have to add others too? I googled some recipes and know that some people mix Epsom salt with other not-so-household products. I don't have any high tech setup so it's not really a big deal if I dose ferts or not but just thought if Epsom Salt will make my plants happier, why not... I do add Fluorish Excel since I have a bottle.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
*Some* kinds of stump killer are potassium nitrate.
It is possible to use liquid Fleet enema for phosphate but it is sodium phosphate, not some sort of potassium phosphate.
I recently read that plain old fashioned plaster of paris is calcium sulfate.
Egg shell is mostly calcium carbonate.
Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate.

Don't just add just because. If you are using tap water the water probably has plenty of magnesium and calcium already. Get a hold of the public system water report to find out. None of the salts I listed are designed for aquarium use and unless you research thoroughly and contact the manufacturer to be sure it is exactly that salt with nothing else you could really start something nasty.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.