The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For years I have grown Pothos and Monstera hanging off the back or sides of my aquarium. I have never had anything but healthy fish.

I am currently planning an aquarium with more immersed plants. While doing some research I am discovering that most of my choices, including Monstera are toxic. I am curious, how this would affect fish. I do have a lot of fish and shrimp that will peck at plants all day.

I am curious if people know of any plants that are safe for fish. The monstera and pothos were usually only partial submerged into the water. However with this build I was hoping to have some plants that are growing more in the aquarium with the leaves above the surface.

For example I have an Alocasia, that I though About growing from a pot with the leaves far above the water. However the stems would be in the water. Or even a monstera that is rooted in a pot in the back of the tank.

My thoughts are that this would be ok, based of the fact I have used monstera for years with no issues. But I wanted to hear peoples thoughts on this, or alternative plants that are know to be safe. Particularly I am looking for plants that will grow tall, rather than viney plants.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Lucky bamboo? It will grow as long as the leaves are and top nodes are out of water. Might not be what you were thinking but it's the first thing that came to mind.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Lots of plants are toxic if humans eat them. Many aquarium plants are toxic for humans to eat. BUT everything you have mentioned will be safe to use in an aquarium. Obviously with a terrestrial plant you will need to 'plant' it in such a way that only the roots are growing into the water (hydroponically) but otherwise you can use pretty much anything. Look into buying or making wabi kusa hooks to attach your terrestrial plants to the side of your tank.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Didn't know Pothos was toxic. Lucky bamboo is a popular one, but slow growing. I have grown purple rice out of my fish tanks, and the plant itself looks pretty good. Water reeds will grow straight up as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info everyone. Actually afterward realized there are lots of cool aquarium plants that grow well, emersed like amazon sword. So I may try that out too. :)

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Pothos is not toxic to fish, nor other plants listed here. Dont use Dumbcane (defenbachia)- this is toxic.
The issue is that you need to make sure no fertilizers, systemics or sprays were used on plant before purchasing. This is where you must be cautious.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts