The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone attached pond plants or house plants to driftwood with the roots in the water and the rest of the plant or most of the rest of the plant out of the water? Can it be done and if so how can one go about doing this? maybe super glue to the driftwood or drill holes and put the roots in the hole.

·
Premium Member
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
623 Posts
Never done super glue. But you can grow/propagate plants like Pothos and Wandering Jew very easily in water. I grow both in my 33L. They end up with huge root systems. These in my tank have no substrate. they just hang in the back of the tank. They send out a main root, some are 1 foot long. then smaller ones grow off the main. you will end up with a few 'main' roots as it grows.

So with these types I don't see why you couldn't. Depending how deep the dirftwood/rock is you may need a long piece of one of these plants. I usually make sure each propagation has at least 2 full health leaves. I have also stripped off a lot of leaves under the few I kept to create a longer stem to reach deeper in the water.

Short version, I don't see why not!

Just google how to propagate your plant. if it says to do it in a cup of water in a window sill this then growing them in your tank shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Haven't done it myself yet, but have been thinking of it, and it seems to me it should work. I was thinking of putting the roots in the hole, and allowing it to grow out. I may be able to tell you for sure in a couple weeks, once I place them in.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Doing it right now in my shallow build.

Rabbit's foot fern. I didn't attach it to the wood or drill holes, just set it on top of the wood. The roots have grown into the wood a bit since then and its definitely 'attached' now. If looking for ways to suspend a plant in the water if you don't have a good driftwood base look into wabi kusa hooks.

·
Registered
745 Posts
if you don't have a good driftwood base look into wabi kusa hooks.
I have been doing the same thing by using some small gauge green electrical "hookup" wire and bending it to a similar shape. It allows my Pothos and Anthurium to dangle their roots from the side of the tank. Drilling a hole in the driftwood seems equally workable although then if the wood is floating you will potentially be blocking light to any plants below. Also the wood may eventually become water logged and want to sink.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
I have been doing the same thing by using some small gauge green electrical "hookup" wire and bending it to a similar shape. It allows my Pothos and Anthurium to dangle their roots from the side of the tank. Drilling a hole in the driftwood seems equally workable although then if the wood is floating you will potentially be blocking light to any plants below. Also the wood may eventually become water logged and want to sink.
Yeah I don't think floating the wood is viable. The plant itself will add weight and the wood will want to tip. My wood is being held up by rocks underneath it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I want to try monstera deliciosa but it might get to top heavy.

Rabbit's foot fern. I didn't attach it to the wood or drill holes, just set it on top of the wood. The roots have grown into the wood a bit since then and its definitely 'attached' now. If looking for ways to suspend a plant in the water if you don't have a good driftwood base look into wabi kusa hooks.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
I want to try monstera deliciosa but it might get to top heavy.
That's a huge plant, you would need either a really big piece of wood or one that is very well situated. You could do it by sticking one into the wood in the water the other end coming up out of the water, and using a bracket with a stainless steel screw to attach the wood by hanging it over the edge of the glass. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
I have a big piece of driftwood and I not sure what you mean by over the edge of the glass
So if you had a bracket you could hang over the edge of the glass, you could attach that bracket to a piece of driftwood with a stainless steel screw. This would give you a very secure way of making sure that wood wouldn't slide out or otherwise change positions when you put a giant plant on top of it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I want to plant something that can get its feet wet can that fern roots be submerged

QUOTE="minorhero, post: 11406385, member: 395579"]

[/QUOTE]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.