The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i might be alittle bored but check this. for some reason last fall my mom decided to get me a lucky bamboo thing. well its supposed to bring money all that stuff and it just sits there in my room and grows. about all its good for. ANYWAY, for xmas i got a bag of eco compete and out came the flourite that was chillin in my 10 gallon. so i was looking at this bambo i have and its growing in gravel base in a pot. well then it hit me...what do you think would happen if i were to use the old flourite as the base for this thing as oppsoed to the gravel in there now? think it would go crazy? think it would die? i want your questions comments concerns. and if i do this, there will definitly be pictures. haha

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I've grown a few emersed plants in fluorite. The didn't fare well because of humidity issues but that's neither here nor there.

I'm sure it would work fine. I think the "lucky bamboo" would grow awesome if you did a couple things.

1. Fertilize (no one who has these seems to do this)
2. Use distilled or R/O water (everyone else who has these just fills up the container, lets it evaporate, then adds more water, which adds mineral salts, and we all know that terrestrials don't particularly like that)
3. Put it in a sunny location (for some reason people like to put these in dark corners)

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have plant food. i could use RO water, but it seems to like the tap, plus ours is pretty rich and mine rocks out right by my window. so its get several good hours of direct light during the day if not through out all of it.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Here's some fun info on lucky bamboo
"Known for centuries as Lucky Bamboo, the plant is not a bamboo at all (botanical name: Dracaena) but a resilient member of the lily family that grows in the dark, tropical rainforests of Southeast Asia and Africa."

·
Registered
705 Posts
ive got some in one of my tanks thats it growing fine just the very tip of the main shoot protroude from the water and the actuall plant grows above the water its not in flourite but its in fertilized water that also has co2

1 - 8 of 8 Posts