The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently purchased a HOT Magnum as a secondary polishing filter. I find it a little noisy. Not an air problem but the humming sound comming from the pump. Am I too difficult (the tank is in my bedroom) or it is normal?

I woould say it is much louder than my Eheim. I can only hear the Eheim if I am within 1-2 feet from it and if the room is absolutely quiet whereas I can hear the magnum in the background from anywhere in the room.

I am just trying to understand if this is the normal operating noise so I can decide to exchange or replace.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I've had one for at least 15 years leftover from when I did in-store demos for Marineland (before they were bought out). Great little polishing filter but I'd never use it full time on a tank located in living space. Quick cleanup after a major re-scape and they do have good flow for their size. Just not much space for standard bio-media if it's your only filter. We promoted them in conjunction with a bio-wheel on tanks and not just the HOB canister.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all for you input...

I purchased the magnum as a secondary filter. The eheim is the main filter but I need more mechanical filtration and flow.

I tried lifting and moving the filter around so it doesn't touch anything but it seems like the hum comes from the pump casing and not because of a vibration transmitting to the tank or other materials.

I took the impeller assembly out but couldn't find anything wrong. I will redo that tonight with greater care.

chad320: Do you hear a different sound between the basket and the micron filter?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, looks like I will have to figure this out by inspecting and reasembling or contact marineland...

Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dissembled everything, checked everything, even ran it without media. Nothing I could do to make it stop humming.

I called support, they shipped me the full impeller assembly. The impeller is probably unbalanced.

So far, very good customer service! We'll see when I get the part.

Thanks everyone!

I will update the thread with the results.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Like chad320 said check the impeller for particles. Try cleaning the pump really well. I run two on my 40 gallon tank, and when they start to hum that is usually cleaning time.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
ok here is what I have found in working with these filters. I to worked for Marineland back in the day before the buy out and then again after the buy out. But thats history. So what could be the problem is the media you are using. If you are using the water polishing micron filter than I am not sure why you would be having noise. Most of the noise that I have seen or heard is from one of two things. Small particals coming from fine carbon getting in with the impeller or an air leak that sounds like something inside the impeller. If I was there I could probably tell you... When you took the unit apart did you take the impeller out of the housing its in? If not than do that to make sure nothing is in there. I have one of these that I keep on all the time but its out in the garage.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, I disassembled everything, including the impeller module (housing). The unit is brand new and was noisy right from the start, with the micron filter only.

The customer support rep went through all possible causes and concluded that the impeller is faulty. I am waiting on the new one.

I like the design and the fact I get a relatively powerful filter for the size. I hope the new impeller will fix the noise.

·
Banned
1,502 Posts
I've tried three of these over the past several years. I always thought to myself "this time it will be different."

It was never different. Is is the worst aquarium filter I have ever had the displeasure of using. The second worst is the normal magnum canister that sits below the tank.

Just my experience. If anyone else likes them, good for you.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
I've tried three of these over the past several years. I always thought to myself "this time it will be different."

It was never different. Is is the worst aquarium filter I have ever had the displeasure of using. The second worst is the normal magnum canister that sits below the tank.

Just my experience. If anyone else likes them, good for you.
Wow! Really? Ive bought 6 of these in the last 15 years and still use 4 of them. The other 2 I had from SW and left them partially dry and the whole impeller housing rusted so it was my fault. I run one in my bedroom that ive had since 1994. I replaced the actual impeller once but its as quiet and powerful as can be.

·
Banned
1,502 Posts
I wish my experiences were as good as yours. Ive never had more frustration, spilled water, noise, complication, etc from any other piece of equipment of any kind.

And use a PC Lmao

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I find that sometimes just turning the filter off and back on will quiet it down. I sometimes turn my filters off when I feed live food so it doesn't all end up in the filter. My HOT sometimes buzzes when I turn it back on, so I just cycle power and it goes away. My HOT is quirky, but otherwise has always run ok. I just use it for mechanical filtration with the cartridge.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Received a new impeller and impeller assembly today.

It is a tad better but I can't say I am impressed with the noise level. I guess that's the normal operating noise.

I am maybe very picky but this is not a filter I would call silent.

I will keep it anyways as it is now acceptable and it does a very good job and can't afford a second eheim for the time beeing.

·
Are these real?
15,720 Posts
Keep in mind that noise level descriptions are somewhat subjective.

What's "silent" to one can be quite noisy to someone else, just because of differences in hearing. I can hear bats so loud they make me cringe sometimes, while folks around me just go "huh?".

Someone who might have only Magnums might consider them silent, due to missing comparison. Ya know, compared to a circular saw they sure are dead silent.

Since you are comparing Eheims, mostly known to be silent, and the Magnum, I'd say elevated noise level there is probably normal.

We have this same discussion quite regularly with Filstar canister filters... Some say they are silent, others are pleased because they are not too loud, while some think they emit an awful humming. All relative and subjective.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wasserpest, You comparison with a circular saw made me laugh :hihi:

That's what I thought. I guess the fact that it is in my bedroom plus the comparison with the eheim makes me somewhat picky. In another situation I might not have been bothered by the noise. It is very true that this is very subjective...

I am trying to see if I can exchange it and find the extra money for a second eheim.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts