The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Drill it slightly smaller (I think it is 7/64th hole size but not sure) and pull the tubing through wiht a pair of fine tip needlenose. Any DIY PVC reactor thread should have th ehole size for tubing listed.

Craig

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well that did not work. It started to suck the bottle in so I turned it off. I will have to try it in the intake in the tank.

·
Super Moderator
12,008 Posts
Well that did not work. It started to suck the bottle in so I turned it off. I will have to try it in the intake in the tank.
At least you caught it in time before it started to suck the yeast mixture into your tank

·
Super Moderator
12,008 Posts
DIY CO2 can usually generate enough pressure to go through a check valve; the problem arises usually with the glass ceramic disc diffusers.

However, a check valve won't stop the filter from sucking all the air out of your DIY CO2 setup, causing your bottle to implode.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have been thinking about this and I now no from experience that it is for sure pulling any gases out of the plastic bottle. Wouldn't a thick glass bottle work? The vacume would pull the co2 out but would the yeast be able to keep up?

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I have been thinking about this and I now no from experience that it is for sure pulling any gases out of the plastic bottle. Wouldn't a thick glass bottle work? The vacume would pull the co2 out but would the yeast be able to keep up?
I think that would work fine. Even a stiffer bottle like a Hawaiian Punch bottle comes to mind. As long as the negative pressure won't suck in the sides, it should work. As always, use a second bottle as a ghetto bubble counter (and to keep yeast crap out of your tank if the bottle ever gets knocked over), and a check valve.

·
Super Moderator
12,008 Posts
There is a small issue with using a glass bottle.

If the filter starts generating enough suction to create a vacuum, the pressure inside the glass bottle will drop. As this occurs, unless the CO2 generated by the yeast can keep up with this vacuum flow, there will be negative pressure inside the glass bottle. This means that there is a chance that a) the glass bottle will implode (given enough vacuum) or b) the yeast mixture will get sucked into the filter.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
That is possible, but I don't think a filter will be able to generate enough suction to implode a decent glass bottle ( i'm picturing something like a mason jar), and I don't think that gravity will let the yeast mixture rise to the top of the bottle and jump into the tubing, even though I would always use a gas separator.

I wonder what kind of suction it would take to implode a glass bottle? That would be cool to see!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did not want anything else in my tank but ended up putting the tube right next to the intake. You can't see the co2 go in but it sure is making nice fine bubbles coming out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts