The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, my 29g is finally set up and planted. However, it's missing something pretty important: a filter. At the moment I just have a little whisper 10i HOB on it for some water movement and what benefits it does give. I obviously need something more though, for what will eventually be a relatively heavily planted tank with fish.

This is where I wouldn't mind some advice. Cost is a major factor, so keeping it economical is a must. When I was at the lfs recently, I saw that they had some hang on tank canister filters, and for the right price. Then there were obviously your standard eheims and fluvals, as well as other hang on back filters. I was wondering if anybody had any experience with the HOT canisters, magnum brand I think they were. The low price worries me some, as I don't want it to end up dying on me, or not doing the job, and needing to buy another.

I could go on, but you get the idea. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
I haven't had any experience with them but as long as I keep the water level high, my HOB AquaClear 70 has been great on my 29g. I forget what I paid for it since it's been a while but I know it was less the $50. That's 3 years ago. I had them for a bigger tank and then they sat on a shelf for a year. No problems!

·
Registered
31 Posts
i have a 29 gal and i love the rena filstar xp2. it is a little bit pricey but definitely worth every penny. its a breeze to clean and you dont have to wory about having any problems-just set it up and you're golden. there is a sale over at aquarium guys dot(.) com. soz i dont have enough posts to type websites yet.

just my two cents

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I'd get an AquaClear 70 or even 110 if you're going with a HOB filter. Magnums you're much more limited with filter media.

I've run an XP2 and currently running an Eheim Ecco 2264 on my own 29gal, and have been happy with those.

If you go with a Rena brand filter, you may want to consider the Rena Smart Heater, too, and kill 2 birds with one stone (though not if you're setting up a shrimp tank...)

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. I have heard good things about AquaClears, as far as HOBs go. It would also be a cheaper than a good canister. The only concern I had about that was if I went to add CO2 to my tank a little later on, I would have to deal with the degassing from the waterfall outlet. I didn't know if with a HOT canister I could avoid that, with an outlet under water.

If I do decide to go that route, though, does anybody have any advice on how I could get by in a 29g with 48W t5 HO using Excel as my only carbon source for the plants? So far it seems to be holding up alright, with plants growing and green and minimal algae. But really, it hasn't even been a week yet.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a HOT Magnum I used to use as a gravel vac if your interested. only used a few months. PM me if you want to go that direction.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts