The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't ever had a hospital tank and thinking I should., I have a sick Panduro and was wondering the best way to set one up. Do I just take water from my 75 were the Panduro is and put him in a 10 gallon that is not set up? It won't be cycled.:help: Should I take some of my eheim bio balls out of my fx5 and put them in a AC 200 (this is what i have)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Just use the water from your 75 gal tank and it should be fine.
Keep it bare bottom too since it's just a treatment tank. It'll make it easier to clean and take down when you don't need it anymore.
Also you can just use a sponge filter.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Emergency treatment tanks aren't worth trying to cycle--it'll take less time to either cure or kill the fish than it'd take to cycle and keeping pristine water conditions is often as much an aid to health as anything else you can do.

One trick I've picked up for dealing with medications, is to use as small a treatment tank as can accomodate the fish--but mix up the medication in large batches, reserving most of it in jugs to use for later water change.

Having pre-mixed medicated water allows you to do large water changes without ending up with large fluctuations in the amount of medication present or going thru massive quantities of expensive meds.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
You can take some of the media from the cycled filter for the hospital tank. Good to get started with, anyway.
You might be doing a lot of water changes to remove disease organisms and that will also keep the ammonia down, or you might be medicating and that could kill the bacteria. However, established nitrifying bacteria live in a dense film on the surfaces in the filter and elsewhere in the tank, and are somewhat resistant to medications, so it is a good idea to include some well established filter media.

I add plant trimmings from the other tanks, too. Let them float. This can help with the ammonia, and gives the fish a place to hide.

If the fish dies, sterilize the filter media before returning it to the main tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.