The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious how I can turn a 10g tank into a hospital/quarantine tank.

Should I clean out the tank after every use? Should I keep the filter (and heater) running even when it's not occupied? What should I put in the darn thing?

In other words, how do I keep the beneficial bacteria alive while preventing contamination of one batch of fish to the other?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I keep a planted 10 gal as a quarantine. I don't buy fish all that often so it sits there for months/years without any. When I do get new fish they have instant protection/cover from the plants and puts them at ease rather quickly. I don't treat for sickness either. If they make it they make it if they don't well... I do put all my new plants in there for a couple of weeks to a month or more depending upon my source.

I haven't ever had to disinfect this tank either. But it's always up and running in case I need it.

I think you would only need to disinfect a quarantine tank if you want to use it for different batches of fish and plants over a short period of time. Then I don't think you'd want try and save anything from the quarantine tank between batches. You could just get a cheap HOB filter and charge the foam in one of your other tanks. For example: you could use the foam insert as a prefilter on your main tank for a while then insert in your quarantine HOB filter. That'd be the easiest way to keep a beneficial colony going in a quaratine tank. Foam filter blocks are easily to disinfect.

Ed

·
Registered
284 Posts
From the Drs foster and Smith site:
"What size of quarantine tank should I use?
A 29-gallon tank makes an excellent quarantine tank and is perfect for most freshwater and saltwater applications."

Hahaha...My biggest tank is only 20 gallons! hahaha

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.