The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a fluval spec 5 gal for my office and going to keep my betta in it and move him out of his current 3 gal.

This new tank is au naturale with a little green hedge forest I put in there but the green hedge doesn't reach anywhere near the top, and he likes to hang at the top sometimes. So I am thinking instead of putting his plastic hammock in there, to use a floater plant instead. I've had success with hornwort and have a bunch of it in my main 20g tank.

But I've read mixed posts about hornwort and bettas from "never had a problem with my betta" to "it will shred betta fins". Anyone have experience with bettas and hornwort?

I know I can try anacharis (although that always seems to melt within days). Any other suggests? It's the stock Fluval spec light which I think is pretty weak, so a low light plant is probably best. I guess my backup plan is to get a couple taller leafy stems that reach the top.

·
Registered
852 Posts
My betta has always lived with hornwort in his tank,and has it now.He does seem to really like frogbit though,and the hornwort seems to make it tougher for him to get pellets.

I'm also starting a spec v for my betta,using some Hygro corymbosa `kompact' and a small piece of hygro polysperma as rooted plants.I put a e.bleheri sword in as well,still with the stock light and they all seem to be doing ok.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had hygro before but had too much light and algae'd it to death. I had the "giant hygro" I think and I recall it looked like little trees, very attractive plant. My LFS has a good selection and different sizes of that so maybe I'll check that out again if I go the long stem plant route.

Just checked out Frogbit and looks interesting and very nice for a betta, floating betta hammocks! I don't think I've ever seen it at my LFS. Is it aggressive?

·
Registered
852 Posts
not aggresive like duckweed or anything,but it does grow quickly.easy to control though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had a problem with my former betta and hornwort. I have water on the hard side and I read somewhere that this can affect the type of 'needles' it grows, they did seem more stiff and sharp than other hornwort I see at the lfs. I'm not sure though if he already was having a problem before and the plant was just not Ok once he was deteriorating. It seemed to rip his fins up and I would find pieces of his fins stuck in it. At first I didnt think it could be the plant. I removed it, but he died quickly after of columnaris. I would just avoid it. The needle shedding was a pain and very hard to clean up in a small tank and I think that also affected my water quality and could have been a contributing factor in losing my betta.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts